Part 1: Chapter 20

The leech was back to her old tricks of torturing her feeders. Javier's screams penetrated the walls and I did not know how the leech could stand the clamour, let alone how the other humans she had dragged into the back along with her endured.

Her decision had been distinctly strange and I could only imagine why the leech would need five humans for her feeding. Perhaps it was some sort of attempt at intimidation, to keep the others in line, but even that didn't ring quite true.

After a few minutes, Theo came out again, followed by his assistants. They all seemed unharmed, although who could really say what damage might have been inflicted under the surface.

He sat down next to me and kept his voice low. I could barely hear him over the sound of the cries. "We're going to go after midnight tomorrow, when almost all the vampires here will be attending their meetings."

"Surprised we're not doing it at noon."

Theo shook his head. "We considered that. But that's when security is at its highest. She's decided to allow you to come as a lookout, if you can swear not to screw up."

"Yeah," I agreed. "I want the information as much as you do."

Theo seemed satisfied with my words and he explained the finer details of his plan to me. I listened, remembered, and agreed.

* * * * *

The first phase of the plan was to lure the council slaves to the leech's chambers and it was relatively simple, a couple of her slaves went out and convinced the humans to come to her lair for food.

I thought they were rather naive to come to a vampire's private quarters, but considering their lean bodies, I supposed that a combination of desperation and desensitization to the constant presence of leeches made it worth the risk.

Mantis and Javier provided the slaves with the same meals around the table that the rest of us ate. They consumed it ravenously, until the bloodsucker wandered into the room.

Three of them cowered and froze while the fourth jumped to his feet warily.

"No need to stand. I like that my humans have made little friends. Go on. Enjoy your meals, slaves." She took her seat at the end of the table.

Any enjoyment the slaves had garnered had been snuffed out by the leech. I glanced at her and realized that she seemed to be revelling in their misery.

Theo and the tech slaves finished and headed off to their makeshift supply closet tech lab, presumably to prepare for our next move. It was far from my area of expertise so I did not question it further.

Finally, the last slave was finished eating and they sat there in nervous watchfulness, obviously torn between wanting to leave and waiting for permission to head out of her chambers.

She seemed to be trying to upset them, watching them with those light brown eyes and her fangs showing in her smile.

"Now, out of the goodness of my heart I fed you, humans, but I can't have you running around and making me sound charitable or anything like that. I need something from you, now that I've given you such a nice gift."

One of the slaves visibly swallowed and the jumpy one half got to his feet before settling down again.

They all paled before her threatening expression.

"Hold them," she commanded. "I don't want them to try to run away before I'm done with them."

In unison, her human guards got to their feet behind the slaves, one behind each. It was obvious the slaves could not match the strength of the guards, especially in their malnourished states. The desperation on the humans' faces resurged that distinct urge to go for the leech's throat again.