Part 1: Chapter 33

I paused my brilliant narration for a moment to allow my humans to take in the wisdom of my words. While I waited, I looked out at my crowd of humans and I was hit with one resounding realization.

I should definitely do more demonstrations and call more assemblies. This was most pleasant.

There was something invigorating about having all their eyes on me while I demonstrated what I was truly capable of, and I was certain that it was not entirely because of one particular pair of rich dark brown eyes fixed on me which I only allowed myself to meet for the briefest second.

This was the same rush as when I twisted the council into knots. I could live off of this high alone for days. My life was wonderful. So much attention, so many opportunities and questions and games and puzzles spreading out indefinitely into the future. I smiled and continued talking.

"If ever a vampire attempts to take what belongs to me, you have my orders to protect yourself. Though the odds are against you, you are not without hope, humans. Your best chance is to work in cooperation with others. Your best chance is to use your surroundings to your benefit. Your best chance is to use the way vampires underestimate you to take them by surprise. Your best chance is knowledge of your enemy while they believe that you are beneath their notice."

I did not want to ultimately leave my humans feeling helpless. They certainly were, against me, but they stood a fighting chance against many others.

"So dedicate yourselves to your training. The future is full of possibilities and none of us can fully predict what will come next."

They believed my words. I smiled fondly.

"And don't worry, I'm sure whatever comes, it will be most entertaining."

I looked towards Raoul and nodded. "All right, everyone. That's it for tonight, you're all dismissed. Get your rest, most of you will resume training tomorrow."

As a whole, they began to file away. I met Jamie's perplexed expression and I motioned for him to come to me. I was pleased when he did as I bid while his wariness amused me. He was so much calmer around me than he had once been, but some things never changed.

I glanced at Raoul and Leif behind him. Both were waiting for my instructions. "Thank you, both," I said. "This was actually rather amusing. Perhaps I will join smaller training sessions from time to time to help each human get a feel for dealing with one of my kind. Perhaps one evening a week? Schedule it for me, and rotate the humans so they all get a turn."

They both nodded and left with a respectful responses of "Mistress."

Jamie was standing at the ready like any of my other guards, except with more wariness than they generally bore. He was calm and tense, and I let my eyes linger on the muscles I could see hinted through the simple shirt he wore for training. Recalling the stupid brand marring his delightful chest, I wondered if he still hated me for the pain.

"What?" he asked, with just enough resentment to make me inhale sharply with delight.

I glanced behind him. The training field was cleared, every other human I owned gone as I had commanded of them. "Fight me, Jamie."

He raised an eyebrow. "Why?"

"Practice for lucky number thirteen?" I offered and I winked at him. "It's an opportunity to learn that you won't soon get again. Vampires aren't all cookie cutters, Jamie—" It belatedly occurred to me that the feral humans were likely not baking too many adorably shaped cookies while running for their freedom and their lives from the monsters of the night.

The slight crinkle between his eyes showed I was correct so I amended my words. "In that we are not all exactly the same, since the humans that we once were were not all the same. But there are patterns you can look for if you learn to see. Fight me."