Part 3: Chapter 27

When I returned to my chambers, Jamie was already gone, my guards informed me. I searched in the most logical place, the dining hall, and I found him there sitting at a table with a mug of what I could only assume was bloody coffee in his hand. A man after my own heart.

Except, he was not alone, rather he was sitting with a very pretty vampiress, talking far more animatedly than I had ever seen him, even when he had been human.

A very sour feeling spread inside me, and I did not want to give it a name, because it implied that perhaps I was not as above it all and as detached as would be my preference. Doubtless, this aberration was the fault of the obsessive affection that I felt for him. It was terribly bothersome.

Pasting a friendly smile to my face to cover my unsettling reaction, I slipped through the tables casually towards them, to discover who this female was that was so capturing his attention. "Good afternoon, Jamie," I said in the sweetest voice I could possibly produce under the circumstances.

He glanced at me quickly, and smiled with a happiness I had never seen before on his face. It was like she had lightened his burdens.

"Hey," he said, before glancing back towards the female who was sitting with him. She smiled as she met his eyes. I cleared my throat and he returned his attention to me, as if everything was normal.

What had I ever done but add more weight upon him? I was torn between the desire to grab her and throw her out into the wilds—perhaps in broad daylight—and some conflicted sense of gratitude that he actually looked happy.

My smile faltered. "I was just looking for you because I said I would tell you about the conclusions of the meetings that happened while you were at rest," I said, my voice far less assured than how I typically sounded.

She was watching me, as well. Such a delicate lovely face, green eyes, and an irritatingly friendly smile still plastered across her features. It even looked genuine. Did this female have no faults?

Jamie glanced between us. "I should introduce you. Vienne, this is Angelique. Ange is—"

"No, I'm sorry, Jamie, but I did not intend to interrupt you. I just wanted to let you know that you could come and find me when you're ready to hear about the strategies, Jamie." It was obvious he knew this female from somewhere, and if I did not get away I very well might do something to her that I would regret and would make Jamie upset at me.

"Vienne?" His brow furrowed, the first trace from him that he had not entirely lost his mind at the first pretty face to wander by.

I smiled brightly before I retreated.

My smile melted from my face as I strode away. My reaction to the situation was patently ridiculous. I was Vienne, an ancient vampiress, and I had no need for silly insecurities.

I made it to my favourite balcony before my casual escape was interrupted. "Vienne! Why are you out here?" Jamie asked.

"No particular reason, although I do like the view."

"You took off before I could really introduce you to my sister."

"Your sister?" I could not even feel as properly foolish as I looked since I was too relieved. Then, there was a sudden welling of something else. I was happy, just simply happy, for him. When had I last felt plain happiness that was not tinged by dark amusement or bloodlust?

"Angelique. I had believed they both must be dead, but she was turned instead."

"I am truly happy for you, Jamie."

He grinned, and I marvelled at the way the corners of his eyes crinkled with his real amusement. "Willow was her sire."

"Willow was her sire?" I repeated, letting the idea sink in. Then I laughed. "Now that is a delightful bit of news. Was she the fledgling that ran away?"