17 - Investigation

Hailey and Chase's father wasn't thrilled over the fact that Peter was Spider-Man. He's been going back and forth between the idea of Peter Parker, someone he has known for years through his friendship with Chase, is now Spider-Man and now is accused to be a murderer.

Hailey and Chase refrained from mentioning Peter's name or Spider-Man knowing how their father would react.

Their mother, on the other hand, refuses to believe that Peter is a murderer. She refuses to believe that Peter, someone she has known since he was a little kid, would murder someone. Not only that, seeing that Peter is Spider-Man and what Spider-Man has done for everyone, why would he suddenly decide to murder someone?

The television was on and Hailey and Chase sat with their family in the living room, watching J. Jonah Jamson on his daily rant of Peter being a menace.

Hailey and Chase sat on the couch with their parents, uncomfortably.

Someone banged on the door.

"Federal agents open up!" a man said.

Hailey and Chase looked at the door, fearfully.

Rachel bit her lip.

Olivia placed her hands on Hailey and Chase's knees as Jeremy stood up and walked over to the door to open it.

"Can I help you?" Jeremy asked.

"We're here for Chase and Hailey Freeman," the man said.

"What?" Olivia said.

"What the hell do you want from my son and daughter?" Jeremy demanded.

"We have some questions about their involvement with Spider-Man and Mysterio," the man said.

"What?" Jeremy said.

***

Hailey and Chase were taken to be questioned.

Ned got there with some federal agents at the same time as them.

"Ned?" Chase said.

"Chase! Hailey!" Ned said, relieved.

"What are you doing here?" Hailey asked.

"They wanted to question me," Ned said. 

"Us too," Chase said.

They were taken into the building.

They passed a room with a large window.

"Oh my God," Hailey gasped. "Peter!"

Peter was sitting in the room with a federal agent.

"Chase, Hailey!" Peter said. 

He looked at the federal agent in the room with him.

"They had nothing to do with this, sir!" Peter said. 

Hailey and Chase were taken into separate rooms.

Hailey sat in her room, anxiously waiting for someone to start questioning her.

Finally, the agent that was in the room with Peter came in.

***

Chase was sitting in a room with an agent.

The agent didn't say anything.

Chase's leg was shaking as he waited for someone to come in and question him. All he wanted to do and get it over with it.

The shocked expression on his parents' and sisters' faces was on his face. He and Hailey hadn't told them how much they knew about Peter. They couldn't bring themselves to mention it after seeing their reactions to Peter being Spider-Man. 

He knew they would have so many questions for him and Hailey when they get home.

"Mr. Freeman," Agent Cleary, the federal agent who was questioning Peter, came in.

"Yes?" Chase said, raising an eyebrow.

"So," the agent said, "are you thirsty? Would you like something to drink?"

"No, thank you," Chase said.

"How long have you known that Peter Parker is Spider-Man?" Agent Cleary asked. 

"I would like a lawyer," Chase said.

"Why would you want a lawyer if - ?" Agent Cleary began.

"I have nothing to hide?" Chase finished. "I know your tactics, sir. I know what you will do. I would like a lawyer."

"Just answer my questions," Agent Cleary requested.

Chase rolled his eyebrows.

"When did Peter tell you that he was Spider-Man?" Agent Cleary asked.

***

It was finally Hailey's turn to be questioned. Agent Cleary entered the room and sat across the table from her. 

"Miss. Freeman," the agent said.

"Yes?" Hailey said.

"I was just talking to your brother," he said.

"Okay?"

"Why do you want a lawyer -"

"If I have nothing to hide?" Hailey finished.

"Exactly," he said. "Unless -"

"I am guilty of something? I know what your tactics are and I know my rights," she said.

"Just answer my question," he said.

Hailey didn't say anything.

"You're a smart, young woman with a bright future ahead of her," he said. "Why would you risk it all by getting involved with a vigilante like Peter Parker?"

***

Hailey and Chase were finally allowed to go home after being questioned for some time. 

When they walked into their house door, they were bombarded with questions by their family on what was going on and why they were part of the investigation.

Once their parents and sisters stopped asking questions, Hailey and Chase sat down in the living room and began to tell them the story of what happened during the trip and admitted that they were helping Peter as he tried to stop Peter.

Jeremy didn't say anything. 

Hailey could tell that even though her father knows that Peter is not a murderer, she knew that he wasn't too happy with Spider-Man.

"Dad?" Chase said.

"Hm?" he said. 

"What - what..." Chase couldn't finish his sentence.

"I..." Jeremy didn't finish his sentence.

He stood up and went to his and Olivia's room.

"You're not mad at us, are you?" Hailey asked her mother.

"No, no," Olivia assured her. "I'm not mad. I'm just..."

"It's a lot," Chase said, "I know."

"It definitely is a lot to process," Rachel admitted.

"I can't believe Peter is Spider-Man," Daisy said.