28 - Barkery

Hailey had pulled out the Daily Bugle on her phone as she was getting ready for the day.

"It's been a few weeks," J. Jonah Jameson said, "since the fiasco on the Statue of Liberty and Spider-Man's cultists continued to contend that vile vigilante is a hero."

Hailey rolled her eyes.

Spider-Man is a hero, she thought.

"Well, if he were a hero, he would unmask himself and tell us who he is," Jameson continued.

Hailey couldn't help but feel like she was supposed to know who he was. She was supposed to know the person behind the mask, but for some reason, she couldn't remember who it was.

She usually had a good memory. She was always someone who could remember stuff, but this time, her memory failed her.

Why now? Why, out of everything that has happened, why does she forget this?

"... because only a coward conceals his identity. Only a coward hides his true intentions. Rest assured everyone..."

Jameson continued his rant about Spider-Man.

***

It was snowing in New York. 

It was nice seeing the snow again even though Hailey wasn't a huge fan of it. It looked pretty, but she didn't like how cold it got.

She hoped one day she would live somewhere that doesn't get as cold as New York or Boston when she moved up for MIT.

Chase, Ned, and MJ Watson got to the bakery that Hailey worked at. It was pretty close to where MJ worked.

"Hey," Hailey said to her friends.

The moment she saw them enter, she entered their orders into the register. Chase coved for MJ and Ned.

She worked at a bakery. Since Christmas was around the corner, everything was decorated with Christmas decorations. It really put Hailey in the Christmas spirit.

They sat at the other side of the counter table.

She made them their food and drinks and set them on the counter for them.

"When do you get off your shift?" Ned asked.

"In two hours," Hailey said.

They started making plans for the next day when a customer entered the bakery.

"Are you guys e

He looked about Hailey and Chase's age, around seventeen years old.

"I'll be back," Hailey said.

She walked to the cash register.

Why does he look so familiar?

"Hi, what can I get you?" Hailey asked.

"Hi, I'm Peter Parker, and... I would like a cup of coffee, please" he said.

Peter Parker? Why did he introduce himself by first and last name? 

"Okay," she said. "Do you want anything else, Peter Parker?"

"Um, n - no, thank you," he said. "Just the coffee."

"Alright, coming right up," Hailey said.

"Hey, Hailey, can I get a donut?" Ned asked.

"Sure," Hailey responded to her brother.

She grabbed a croissant and a donut from the display. She took the croissant to the older man sitting close to Ned and their friends and gave the donut to Ned.