Chapter 10

John B pulls the HMS up to the dock the Coast Guard station is on. We climb off the boat and head toward the small stand. People crowded the counters, shouting at the people working, demanding help.

I walk up to the counter where no one was standing, with John B next to me. "Um, excuse me sir? We found a boat."

"You're gonna wanna hear this." John B speaks up from behind me.

"Hey! Calm down!" The man behind the counter yells at us.

"God damn." I mumble.

I sigh turning to John B. He shrugs. "Come on, little red." He puts a hand on my upper back, leading me back over to the rest of the Pogues.

"Well that went well." JJ points out.

"I know how we're gonna find the guy who owns that boat." John B holds up the motel key.

"We don't know whose room that is." Pope announces. "It could be anyone."

"I'm in." JJ shrugs nonchalantly.

"Come on, I'll be look out!" Kie agrees.

JJ grabs my forearm, pulling me along with him back to the boat. A giggle escapes my lips as we jog down the dock. He steps onto the boat before helping me on by grabbing my waist as I step on after.

My smile fades as I catch Kie glaring at me from over JJ's shoulder. A look of confusion crosses JJ's face at my sudden change in demeanor.

"You good?"

"Yeah, fine." I sit down in the back of the boat as the rest of the Pogues join us. I sigh in frustration. Kiara was really killing my good mood.

"Little red, what's got you so down?" John B questions, pulling away from the dock. I look up at him with an empty expression.

"Nothing, I'm fine." I shake my head.

The rest of the way to the motel I'm silent. I felt very out of place at the moment. The constant glares from Kiara were disheartening and I didn't know what to do.

John B pulls the HMS in front of the motel. It was in shambles, falling apart. The hurricane had really done a number on the crumbling building. Debris had fallen over the motel. Palm fronds and branches were all over the ground.

"I thought the Chateau looked bad." JJ comments looking at the building.

"This place is a shitshow." John B announces.

"Motel or meth lab?" Kie questions.

"You be the judge." Pope responds to her.

"Doesn't look like a place somebody with a Grady-White stays." John B points out.

"No. Looks like a place someone with a Grady-White would get killed."

"All right, here we go. This is your captain speaking. HMS comin' in for landing." JJ jumps off the boat onto the bank. He leans down tying the boat off.

"We good?" John B questions the blonde.

"Yeah, we good."

"All right. Here goes nothing."

"Hey." Pope says catching their attention. "Don't let him do anything stupid."

"Oh we will." JJ pipes up.

"I'm not making any promises."

"Uh, be careful." Kie tells John B, handing him the key. "I mean it."

"Yeah." John B chuckles. He walks over to JJ, patting him in the shoulder, letting him know he's ready to go.

"Frank, you good here?" JJ asks me.