Chapter 30

The next morning JJ had taken me to Heyward's Seafood place to help Pope out. Kiara and I stood behind the counter together. Her working the register while I bagged any groceries people bought.

JJ sat on the counter behind us, Pope wandering the store, helping customers.

"Don't let it get in your head, bro. There's three of them and two of us. That's some typical Kook shit right there."

"Hell, yeah." Kie agrees.

"What was your thought process, using your head?" JJ asks Pope.

"I don't know, man. I just kinda acted off instinct, alright? I was a cornered animal."

"I thought it was sick." I speak up. "I never would've thought of that."

"That's because you're too busy smashing in Rafe's nose." JJ states with a proud smile.

"Hey, Pope." Heyward steps into the store, cutting off our conversation. "Someone is here to see you."

A cop walks in behind Pope's dad. His radio chattering as he enters, catching all of our attention. I look around Kiara, eyeing the officer.

"Evening, officer." Pope greets.

"I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property." Officer Shoupe announces.

"What?" Heyward snaps.

"Put your hands on the counter where I can see them."

"Woah, woah, woah." Heyward interrupts. "What'd he do?"

"Take a look at this warrant."

"You're arresting him?" Kiara demands.

"You're just arresting my boy?" Heyward asks confused.

Shoupe locks cuffs around Pope's wrists.

"Be careful!" Kie yells. She looks over at me, eyes wide. "Your mom's an attorney, right?" I nod at her. "Call her, now."

I nod again, pulling out my phone. I dial Roni's number but turn the volume down so she can hear us but I can't hear her. I couldn't have Shoupe knowing Roni would hear the whole conversation.

"Anything you say can and will be held against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney."

"How much did they pay you, man?" JJ demands.

I look over at the blonde. He glances at me before trying to step in front of Shoupe. The officer shoved him back, causing him to stumble into me. JJ tries to go for the Sheriff again but I stop him, grabbing in his bicep.

"J, don't." I tell him. I look back at the cop and my friend, heart pounding in my chest. A loud buzz filled my ears as I watched the chaos. "Wait, wait!" Everyone stops looking at me. "He didn't do it."

"It was me!" JJ yells before I can say anything else.

Fuck. "JJ.. no."

"He tried to talk me out of it, but I was mad because he'd just been beaten up. I was so sick of those assholes from Figure Eight that I lost my shit." JJ looks over at Pope. "I can't let you take the blame for something I did. You've got too much to lose."

"JJ what are you doing?" Pope demands.

"I'm telling the truth." JJ states. "For once in my goddamn life, I'm gonna tell the truth. I took his old man's boat too."

"What the hell?" Heyward implores.

"JJ, come on." Pope tries.

"Just shut up, Pope. Just shut up. He's a good kid." JJ tells the officer. "You know where I'm from."

"Yeah." Shoupe nods.

"This was all me." JJ confirms.

"That's the whole truth?" Shoupe asks.

"Whole truth, swear to god."

"I know what you think, damn it, I'm asking Pope."

Pope looks over at JJ, and then glances at me. Surprise crosses my face, shocked he was looking to me for the reassurance and not Kiara. I give him a slight nod, letting him know it was okay.

"Yeah, that about covers it."

Shoupe takes the handcuffs off of Pope. JJ turns to look at me, an apologetic look on his face. I shake my head at him. He should have let me take the fall.

The officer locks the handcuffs around around JJ's wrists before putting him into the back of the cop car. JJ glances at me one last time before the car pulls away and down the street.

Pope takes off his hat, slamming it into the concrete. "Shit!"

Kiara looks over at me. "Please tell me you got this."

"I got it." I confirm. I turn up the volume on my phone before putting it up to my ear. "Roni?"

"Franklin, I'm already on my way to the station." Roni tells me. "I'm going to do everything I can, okay?"

"God, thank you."

"Do you know any of the details?"

"Not really. I know he's taking the blame for something Pope did. And something about sinking Toppers boat."

"Okay. Honey, I can't make any promises about this, okay?"

"I know. But Roni?"

"Yeah?"

"I really appreciate what you're doing."

"I've got you, kid."

"Thank you."