Chapter 34

I knew today the Pogues were planning on going after the gold. Guilt had consumed me all day, knowing I wasn't even allowed to step outside, let alone help them.

Both my parents had to work today, leaving me home alone with the dog. I sat on the living room floor, Flynn's head in my lap. I scratched behind his ears as he stared up at me. I think he could sense the extra stress I was putting on myself.

The day was long and boring. I missed home, I missed my mom. And I missed my brother.

"Come on." I say to Flynn, standing up.

I grab a ball from the toy bin just outside the back door before heading into the backyard. Flynn follows after me before running big circles around the yard excitedly. A small smile forms on my lips as I toss the ball to the retriever. He jumps, catching it, before bringing it back over to me.

Before long the sun was starting to set, turning the sky a mix of pinks and purples. The sun glowing a vibrant orange as it disappeared into the horizon. You could hear the waves crashing against the rocks from my back yard, creating a serene environment.

I hear the back door slide open. My dad's loud voice cutting through the quiet air.

"What do you think you're doing?"

I turn, looking at him. "Getting fresh air. You're home early."

"Get inside, now." I roll my eyes as I stand up, following the man back inside. "Do you not realize how irresponsible you're being?" He questions.

"You can't keep me trapped in here all day."

"I am your father and you will do as I say."

"I don't get it. You didn't care about me at all until right now."

"That's not true at all."

"You haven't been around at all since I got here. And as soon as I start to fit in you take that away from me."

"Your actions have been very disappointing lately."

"Well I'm sorry that I'm such a fucking disappointment to you!"

"Watch your language!"

"Look, I'm not who you think. I'm not some stuck up, straight edge Kook from Figure 8. I'm a competitive surfer from Australia. I live with my single mom because my dad decided we weren't good enough anymore."

"Franklin Elle Taylor!"

"My last name is Young. Young! I'm barely even your daughter."

"God dammit, Franklin!" My dad shouts. "You need to stop hanging out with those damn Pogues."

"What did you just say?" My voice drops in pure anger.

"I don't want you seeing them anymore."

"Why? Because they believe in something other than money?"

"Don't talk to me like that, young lady."

"Those are my friends dad. That's all I have here. All you do is tell me I'm doing everything wrong and that I'm a disappointment to you."

"Franklin." My dad warns.

"No, Dad! You don't get to decide what's best for me anymore. I'm done." I whirl around quickly and run up the stairs to my bedroom. Angry tears were burning in my eyes, threatening to spill over.

I collapse onto my bed, staring up at the ceiling. I missed my mom, and I missed Australia, but I couldn't leave my friends. And I loved the Outer Banks.