Chapter 49

Kiara pulls up in front of JJ's house. It was small, and shanty just like he had always described.

"Home sweet home."

I reach forward, placing a hand on JJ's shoulder. He looks back at me. Anxiety was etched onto every part of his face.

"Do you want me to come with you?" I ask him.

"No." He answers immediately.

"Are you sure?" Kiara speaks up. "We'll come."

"No," JJ shakes his head frantically. "This will only take a second."

I watch his as he climbs out of the car and heads toward the front of his house. Anyone could sense the immense amount of stress the boy was feeling. He looks back at the car, his eyes locking with mine.

I knew worry was written all over my face. I try to give the boy a small smile but I knew it wasn't convincing in the slightest. I fell my heart clench when he disappears inside.

"Hey." Kiara looks back at me. "He's gonna be okay."

I give her a small nod.

The longer JJ was gone the more worry built up in my chest. Nerves bubbled in my stomach. JJ has been in there awhile and I knew what his father was like. I fidget with my hands, trying to stay calm but it fails.

"That's it, I'm going after him." I open the back door to the car, climbing out.

"Franklin, he told us to wait."

"Screw that!" I say. I step up to the front door and pull it open quietly. I step inside, peaking around the corner.

JJ's dad looks over at me, catching me in the house. He sat on the couch, looking up at his son as they speak. JJ looks over at me, eyes widening in fear.

"You the girl my son's been seeing?" JJ's father asks me.

"Uh, yes sir." I answer hesitantly, walking closer.

"Luke Maybank." He holds out his hand for me to shake. I notice he had faded scars and harsh calluses lining his palm. He had definitely been working a physical job.

I take his hand. "Franklin." I introduce myself.

"You keeping my boy out of trouble?"

"Dad." JJ says, trying to get him to stop talking.

"I am." I answer.

"He certainly don't deserve a pretty Kook like you. My boy's a little rough around the edges."

"You raised a good man, sir. Your son is my best friend." I glance at JJ, a small smile on my lips.

"Good. You keeping him out of trouble?" The man asks again.

"Yes."

"Is she?" Luke turns to his son.

"She's the best thing that's happened to me in a while dad."

"Good." Luke says nodding. He looks back over to me. "You're a good kid Franklin."

"Thank you, sir."

Luke stands up, placing his hand on his son's shoulder. "Listen, hey. Hey, look. I know I'm hard on you sometimes."

"Mhm." JJ nods, his lower lip clenched between his teeth.

"But, sometimes I see— I see your mother in you, and it gets me a little tweaked, you know?" The two boys laugh.  "You're a good boy."

"Mhm."

"And I love you, son." Luke tells JJ. He pulls him against him in a hug. "Come here, I love you. I love you, son."

JJ sniffles against his dad's shoulder. He wraps his arms right around his dad's torso. "Love you too, Dad. I'm sorry."

"Ain't got nothing to be sorry for." Luke's eyes close as he loses consciousness. JJ lowers his dad onto the couch, letting go of him.

JJ releases a shaky breath as he watches his dad collapse. He rips open his dad's shirt, revealing the keys. JJ grabs them, ripping them off of his father. He turns to look at me, grabbing my hand. He leads me towards the front door.

"I thought I told you to stay there." JJ says as we round the corner, in front of the door.

"I know, I'm sorry. You were gone a couple minutes and I was worried. I know he—"

JJ cuts me off by pressing a lingering kiss to my lips. His hands come up to my cheeks, cupping my face. "Thank you."

"For what?"

"Coming after me. Caring enough to face my father."

"You know I've got you, Maybank." He smiles before pressing another quick kiss to my lips.

"Let's get out of here."

"Yes, please."

I hear the car start as we step out of the house. JJ climbs back into the front seat as I climb into the seat behind him.

"How'd it go?" Kiara asks.

JJ holds up the keys for her to see.