Chapter 14

The next morning I'm woken up by Roni. She gently shakes me awake after turning on the light. I groan rolling over, burying my face in the pillow.

"Franklin, I have your medication." Roni states.

I shake my head, tightening the blanket around me. Roni sits at the end of my bed. "What time is it?"

"Late, I let you sleep in."

"Look, I know you don't wanna talk about it. That's fine. But I need you to please take this. The
Maybank boy told us everything about last night.

"Don't talk about him." I sit up quickly, taking the pill out of her hand.

"I thought you two were friends?"

"Roni!"

"Okay, okay." She stands from her spot on my bed and walks out of the room.

Truth was, I felt betrayed by JJ. He knew my past and yet, he pulled a gun on Topper. I had finally let someone in and they still didn't get it.

I sigh, getting up from my bed. I grabbed my bottle of water and took my medicine. The cool water eased the ache in my throat from the yelling the night before.

I catch my door cracking open as Flynn noses his way in. A small smile makes its way onto my face as I squat to pet the dog. His tail wags back and forth like a spring door stopper.

"Wanna go for a walk?"

The dog's ears perk up at my question. A bark of excitement gives me my answer. I grab my white bikini and throw it on before pulling overalls on over the top. I pull on my white sneakers and head downstairs with my dog in tail.

I grab the black leash hanging on a hook. A heavy sigh escapes my lips when I hear Roni's heels clicking as she walks into the foyer.

"Franklin? I'd like to speak a moment."

I can't help but roll my eyes before turning to look at her.

"I apologize for the ambush last night. I understand it wasn't fair. Your mom said you struggled with PTSD after the loss of your brother. I just wanted to make sure you were alright."

"I wasn't." I say.

"I understand that. We called her last night and she informed us you are supposed to be taking medication, but you often forget. I noticed you hadn't taken any since you got here."

"Okay?"

"We're gonna get you on it again, okay?"

I nod at her, understanding I did need to start taking it again. "Anything else?"

"I could smell alcohol on you last night when the Maybank kid brought you home." She states.

I curse under my breath. "I only had two drinks." I lie.

"I just want you to be safe." Roni says.

"You're not mad?"

"No, lucky for you, your dad doesn't know either. Just.. please don't let it happen again."

"Yes ma'am."

"Thank you." Roni gives me a small smile.

"No problem." I say simply.

"You taking Flynn out?"

"Yeah."

"Okay. I'm about to head to work. Do you need anything?"

"No, I'm good."

I bend down and clip the leash to Flynn's collar before opening the front door. I walk down my street, facing away from the sun. It beamed down harshly against my skin, causing a light sheen of sweat to rise. The soft breeze coming off the water was cooling as it blew over the liquid in my skin.

I had gotten just under a mile away from my house when I hear a familiar voice calling out a familiar nickname.

"Hey, little red!"

I turn around to see the typical brown van cruising down my street. John B has his head hanging out the window, tracking me as I walk. I begin to walk back in the direction of my house. John B, obviously not taking the hint, turns the van around to follow me.

"Hey, where you going?" John B asks.

"Home."

"Why?"

"Because I live there."

"Woah, who pissed in your cereal?" John questions.

"Can you please just leave me alone?"

"No ma'am, we got plans today."

"You guys have plans today. I plan to hangout with my dog."

"Franklin?" I stop mid step when I hear the blonde Pogue's familiar voice.

I shake my head and keep walking toward my house. John B continues to follow me as I finally arrive at my house. He parks the van along the curb before walking after me.

"Woah, woah! Come on now, red."

"Look, I'm just not interested today, okay?"

"Franklin, what's wrong? You're always down for a little adventure. What did JJ say to you last night?"

"Nothing. I'm not going."

"Listen, this is really important to us. I understand it doesn't matter much to you because you just got here. But, you're an honorary Pogue now."

"Am I? Half the crew doesn't seem to like me and the other half is psychotic." I state.

"Well, I want you there. And Kie can suck it up." I sigh, slightly annoyed. "Really, what happened last night?"

"Dude, JJ held a gun to someone's head!" I say loudly.

John B seizes my wrists. "Frank, keep it down!"

"How are you guys okay with that? Guns are not something to screw around with."

"I know, okay? We don't condone it, but he's got a lot going on up here." John B points his index finger toward his head.

"Alright fine. But you owe me big time."