Chapter 13

Sarah Cameron, Topper Thornton's girlfriend. She stood atop an old ocean buoy that had washed ashore, staring over the crowd. She wore a loose blue sundress that flapped ever so slightly in the breeze of the evening.

I watch in annoyance as Topper comes into view. He yells at Sarah, telling her to get down from her spot on the buoy. I roll my eyes, always so controlling. Topper grabs his girlfriend, picking her up off the buoy and spinning her around.

I notice John B's gaze lingering on the dirty blonde. I nudge him with my shoulder. He glances at me shaking his head. I raise my eyebrow in question but I drop it.

"Go talk to him." John B says looking at me.

"What?" I snap out of my thoughts, looking at him with wide eyes.

"JJ."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Dude, he's your best friend. You guys obviously care about each other with all these stolen glances and small touches you don't think anyone notices. Look I don't know where you guys stand, but he cares about you."

"I know."

"So?" John B gives me a questioning look.

"I'm not gonna go interrupt his partying."

"Fine. I will." John B states. He reaches up to cup his hands around his mouth, yelling at JJ. "Hey, yo, JJ!"

The blonde looks up from the girl he was talking to. A small smile in his face as he notices John B and I sitting by each other. He excuses himself from the girl before jogging over to us.

"Hey." He greets.

"Franklin was just telling me she wants to talk to you." John B says before walking away.

I look at JJ, an awkward smile crossing my face. "I certainly did not say that, but I'll accept the company."

"Want another drink?" JJ asks. I nod at him, a smile on my face. "Come on." He wraps an arm around my shoulders, leading me over to the keg.

He fills another cup with the beer before handing it to me.

"Thank you."

"You doing any better?" JJ asks me, taking my hand.

"Yeah. Im glad you guys came."

"Me too." The blonde leans over, pressing a kiss to my cheek. I let out a light giggle before sipping my beer.

I notice a familiar couple walking toward us. Topper's eyes were on me the whole time. JJ pulls his hand out of mine, stepping toward the pair.

"Sarah, can I interest you in a tasty Milwaukee beverage?" JJ offers.

"No, thanks."

"Is it not fancy enough for you?" JJ asks.

"JJ, don't." I speak up.

"No, we were just leaving." Sarah says again.

"Hey, you know what?" Topper cuts in. "I'll take it. As soon as he said that I knew this was gonna get ugly. "I'll- Thank you, man, I appreciate it."

"That's nice, but I didn't ask you." JJ responds. "If you said pretty please, maybe, but you didn't."

"Oh, pretty please." Topper mocks.

"Yeah. Sarah. You can have it."

Topper smacks the cup, dumping the beer over JJ's face. "She doesn't want it, you-"

JJ snaps, breaking his previous calm facade. He lunges at the male kook, shoving him backward.

"Hey, JJ, no!" I grab onto the blondes hand, pulling him back.