Chapter 23

John B pulls the van into a parking spot outside the Kildare Hotel.

"All right, keep a look out." JJ announces. "We're behind enemy lines." The blonde pulls out the gun from the glove box.

"Woah, what do you think you are doing?" I question.

"Yo, man. Come on. Put it back." John B tells him.

"What? You can never be too careful."

Pope climbs out of the car, me right behind him. He leans up against JJ's open window. "Hey, I predict that bringing a weapon to a four-star hotel will likely cause more problems than they solve."

"Thank you, Pope." John B says agreeing.

"I swear to god I'm gonna throw that thing in the ocean, JJ." Kiara states. A small laugh escapes my lips. "Put it back." Kiara demands.

John B reaches over, taking the gun out of the boy's hand and placing it back into the glove box.

"There you go."

"You can't grab a gun like that." JJ tells the brunet. "Can't forget my badge. Professional busboy."

"So where are we going now?" John B questions.

"We're getting on the internet because only rich people have electricity right now." JJ explains.

"So why are we not doing this at Franklin's house?" John B asks, confused.

"My dad has today and tomorrow off so he'll be home all day." I answer.

"This way." JJ gestures toward a back door. He leads us into the kitchen of the hotel. "Andrew!"

"All right?"

"What's up, bro?" JJ nods toward the man. "Mama L, good to see you!" He reaches toward the pile of food the lady sat behind.

"Hey, no. JJ!" The woman snaps, smacking his hand away.

"See, they got the back up generators going. Looks don't miss a beat." JJ states, walking further into the building. He swipes a key off the front counter before leading us over to another room.

He opens the doors, revealing a couple computers on desks.

"Sweet Lord, the internet!" Pope cheers, running toward the computer. "I missed you."

"Let me get in there. Gotta check out my insta models." JJ says.

"Oh, please. You're just gonna try and find Franklin's Instagram and stalk her, you creep." John B retorts.

"We don't have time." Kiara stresses.

"Hey! Hey! Hey!" John B calls out, catching all of our attention. He pulls the map out of his backpack and puts on the desk, spreading it out. "I got the map!"

"Coordinates please." Pope says.

"34, 57, 30. North. 75, 55, 42. West." Pope types in the coordinates. The map displayed on the screen zooms in on the OBX islands. "Boom, continental shelf right there."

"Well, if it's off the deep end it's not gonna be much of a treasure, is it?"

"Come on, baby. Come on." JJ chants as the screen zooms in more.

I spin around, looking at the door when I hear voices come from the hall. Footsteps and laughter follows shortly after.

"Shit, it's on the high side." John B states, drawing my attention back to the computer screen. "It's only 900 feet."

"That's not too deep." JJ agrees.

"Is that doable or something?" Kiara asks.

"Yeah, totally doable."

"Okay, will we be taking your personal submarine?" Pope asks JJ sarcastically.

"How do you know this, Mr. Diver Master?" John B adds.

"The salvage yard." JJ answers simply. "They got a drone that can drop 1,000. It has a 360 camera and everything. It's for, like, deep divers and stuff. It's exactly what we need."

"And can your dad get his grimy little hands on that?"

"Well my dad's grimy little hands got his ass fired." I glance at JJ with a look of confusion written across my face. "I guess the salvage captain frowns on showing up shitfaced, turns out. But the drones there. It's in the impound yard out back."

"How much did you say was on the Royal Merchant again?" Kiara asks.

"400 million."

"400 mil." JJ answers at the same time as John B.

"400 million dollars?" Kiara asks incredulously.

"Yes, that's what they said." I speak up.

Pope walks over to the door, spreading his arms out, blocking us from the door. "No, absolutely not. Absolutely not! No!"

"Pope, move!" Kiara demands, walking over to the boy.

JJ steps up, physically moving the boy out of the way.

"Guys, that's too—"

"Come on!" Kie says dramatically.

"Can't we do anything legal for money?" Pope asks.

"Come on, red." John B waves me after them. "Go." John B instructs Pope. He places a hand on my shoulder as we walk after JJ and Kiara.