Chapter 41

I lay on the couch with JJ on the porch of the chateau. We had spent the morning talking to Pope and Kiara about last night. JJ told them about his fight with his dad, and buying all the random shit. He even told them about me finding him and helping him last night. He did, however, skip the details of our night together. I gathered they had figured out enough seeing me in JJ's t-shirt this morning and the rumpled sheets on the pullout.

JJ lays on his back, his arm tucked up behind his head. I lay next to him, against the couch cushions. My hand was stretched up, my fingers in his golden locks. I had my leg thrown over the two of his, as I snuggled into his chest.

JJ presses a soft kiss to the top of my head. "You're awfully sleepy, princess."

"Well it's not like we did a lot of sleeping last night, J." I mumble, burying my face further into him.

The boy lets out a light laugh, pulling me tighter against him. One of his hands was resting on my bum, the other traced circles into my shoulder.

"How's it feeling?" I hear Pope ask Kiara.

"Feels good."

"Alright, I'm taking you down."

"Come on, princess." JJ says sweetly, sitting up with me. I groan sleepily, clinging onto him.

"Franklin." He says chuckling.

"Ugh, fine." I let go of the boy, standing up. He grabs my hand as we make our way over to Kiara and Pope.

"John B pulling a Houdini." JJ calls out.

"Yeah, where is he?" Pope adds. "I got my scholarship interview tomorrow. We gotta get this done!

"My parents still don't know where I am." I speak up. "I'm gonna have to show my face to them at some point."

"I don't love that idea." JJ says truthfully. He looks passed me. "Hey! Speak if the devil!"

I spin around to see John B trudging toward the chateau.

"John B!" I call out to him.

"Dude, I set up the entire winch to pull up the gold and everything."

"No, he did not. I did that." Pope corrects.

"Hey, John B!" Kiara yells, noticing John B hadn't stopped to look at any of us.

"Okay, that's it?" JJ quips.

"Uh... what's that all about?" Pope questions, walking closer to the door of the chateau. Kiara in tow.

"I was gonna ask you the same thing." JJ shrugs.

I let go of JJ's hand and approach the house. "John B?" When I step inside I find the boy digging through stuff around his house. He tosses items aside, as if he working looking for something. Glass clinks together as he tears through shelves. "John B, what are you doing?" I ask him.

I hear the door open again as the Pogues come inside. Pope walks over to John B.

"You all right, man? What— what's up?" Pope asks the manic boy.

"What are you looking for?" Kiara demands.

John B starts digging through the cushions on the couch, throwing them around.

"Bro, what's going on?" JJ asks. I hear the click of the gun as John B pulls it out from under a cushion. He lifts it up looking at it. JJ approaches the boy. "John B, what do you need the gun for?"

"No!" Kiara yells.

JJ tries to grab the gun away from the brunet. "Talk to us!" John B's eyes narrow as he pushes the boy off of him, shoving him onto the pullout bed.

"Hey! What are you doing?" I demand. "I get you're angry, John B. You have to talk to us!" John B grabs my arm, yanking me to the side toward JJ.  The blond reaches out, catching me from falling.

"Chill!" Kiara yells. "What are you doing?"

John B keeps trudging toward the door. Pope steps in front of him. "What, are you JJ now?" John B shoves the other boy into the table.

"Shi— Are you okay?" Kiara asks Pope.

I reach over pulling JJ to his feet.

"You good?" He asks me.

"I should be asking you that." I tell him.

"I'm good, I'm okay. Let's go."

We follow Kiara and Pope out the door, after John B. Kiara runs down the steps frantically.

"John B, what are you doing?" Kiara yells at the boy.

John B climbs onto JJ's motorbike. He starts the engine, bracing himself against the handlebars. He revs the engine loudly.

"Dude, what's going on?" I ask, following the other Pogues out the door.

"Ward knows about the gold." John B yells at us. He turns to look at the four of us. "He killed my dad."

I stop running, completely shocked. "Holy fuck." Kiara, Pope and JJ take off after the boy as he speeds off on the bike. They all give up quickly.

JJ turns to look at me, a look of utter shock displayed across his face. I shake my head in disbelief, unsure what to do or say in that moment.

"What the hell do we do?" I question.