Chapter 32

That morning when I woke up, JJ was gone. I spent the day trying to reach him but I knew I wasn't allowed to leave the house. Dad decided he needed to take the day off because tonight was Midsummers but I'm pretty sure he just wanted to spy on me.

A knock sounds on my door frame. I turn to see Roni standing in my doorway. She looked incredible, very Regal. I smile up at her. "Hi."

"Would you like me to do your hair?" She asks me.

"Oh, sure." I nod at her.

Roni comes to sit behind me, beginning to do my hair. She put my hair up into an updo pinning it in place as she speaks with me.

"Does- does your mom ever do you hair like this?" Roni hesitates.

"It's okay for you to ask questions. Mom's always pretty busy but she does everything she can."

"I'm sorry, I'm just not sure where we stand." The woman confesses.

"Roni, it's okay. In Outer Banks you're my mom. You can ask me anything, okay?" I reassure.

"Okay." Roni smiles. "You're dress is hanging in your closet. I picked it up earlier. You have 15 more minutes. Your dad is waiting downstairs."

"Okay." I nod at her. Roni gets up from the floor, flattening out her gown and heads out of my room.

I walk over to my closet and open it. Roni had left a stunning long yellow gown in my closet. I gasp as I look it up and down. I pull it out of the closet and slide the dress on. The material glides over my curves, hugging them tight before flowing out around my hips.

I walk over to my mirror, looking at myself in such a beautiful gown. I hardly recognized myself. Back in Australia I never dressed up. I was always competing in surfing competitions or hanging out with friends. I wore my hair down in loose waves and usually had on shorts and a t-shirt.

I grab my shoes and strap them on quickly before heading downstairs to meet my parents in the living room. My dad stood at the bottom of the stairs, waiting for me.

"Ready?" My dad asks me, holding out his arm. I nod at him, walking past him and out to the car. I hear my dad sigh as the couple follows me toward the car. I get in the back seat, pulling the fabric of my dress into the car after me, avoiding accidentally closing it in the door. The ride to the hotel was one  of uncomfortable silence.

My dad pulls up in front of the building. Roni turns around to look at me.

"They'll announce us when we walk in because of our money. So, all eyes will be on us. Just prepare yourself."

"Okay." I say monotone. I didn't really wanna be here tonight. I wanted to be with my friends, helping them. I hadn't heard from anyone but JJ, when he crawled into my room last night.

I follow Roni and my dad into the building and out the back doors. The crowd outside cheers as we step out into the open. I knew we were a popular family but I didn't realize we held that much of a status.

"The Taylor Family. Thomas, Veronica, and their daughter Franklin."

I look around at all the people looking at me. I had never been in any situation like this. Whenever I had gone to any parties with my mom it was always business people not people with big trust funds.

I spot a familiar face among the large crowd of people. Kie gives me a small wave but I could tell she still wasn't fond of me. I hesitantly make my way over to her, noticing Pope standing nearby. I wave at him too, earning a genuine smile from the boy.

"Hey, guys." I greet.

"Hey, Frank. Have you heard from JJ?" Pope asks immediately.

"I have actually. He stopped by my house last night."

"Really?" Kie asks, cocking her eyebrow.

"Yes." I answer looking directly at her.

"Why?" She questions.

"Can we not do this right now?" I ask her. "Our friends need our help. I don't know what your issue is with me, but right now can we please just focus on something else?"

"Fine." Kie sighs.

"How is he?" Pope asks, changing the subject.

"He's okay, a little bruised. But, uh, he's okay."

"Good." Pope says nodding.

"Yeah." I say shortly. I glance at Kiara's stony expression on her face as she looks at me. "Pope, do you wanna dance a moment?"

A small smile creeps onto his lips as he side glances Kiara. I could tell he could find my antics toward her slightly amusing. He nods, taking off his apron. He hands it to Kie before taking my hand and leading me onto the dance floor.

I place a hand on his shoulder, the other stays rested in his hand. "She really doesn't like you." Pope speaks up.

"Oh, I'm well aware. It's fun seeing her get antsy."

"Kie's not often one to be thrown off, but for some reason you really get to her. I think it has to do with your closeness with JJ. That used to be her."

"I didn't mean to replace her." I say honestly.

"Oh we know." Pope comments, backing me up. "She just doesn't get that no matter who or how many times we explain that to her."

"I do feel slightly guilty, but at the same time I haven't done anything wrong."

"You haven't done anything. Don't worry about it." Pope says.

I watch as Pope's eyes suddenly grow wide, looking past me.

"Damn, you look incredible." A new voice speaks up.

I whirl around to see none other than JJ Maybank dressed as a waiter. A wide smile breaks across my face.

"Can I have this dance?"

I throw my arms around the blonde boy, latching onto him. I had no idea he was showing up. Pope stands there, next to us, in wide-eyed shock.

"Pope, take a picture man, it'll last longer." JJ says lightly smacking his friends face.

Pope springs at the boy, taking my place hugging our friend. JJ grunts at the sudden impact of Pope's chest slamming into his.

"Woah, unexpected PDA there Dr. Spock." JJ voices. Pope releases the boy. JJ grabs onto Pope's face, planting a kiss on the boy's cheek. "But, uh... hey, love you, too, man.

"Dude, I'm sick over all this shit, man." Pope replies exasperated.

"You're sick?" JJ questions. He reaches up, placing the back of his hand on Pope's forehead. "You don't seem sick."

"I'm sick on the inside."

"Right, well, I already knew that."

"Dude, relax." I speak up. "You're drawing way too much attention."

Pope looks at JJ's face before pointing at a bruise forming along JJ's jawline. "Did Shoupe do that?"

I glance at the boy's face. The same bruises littered his face that I had seen the night before. Seeing them again made my heart break for him all over again.

"Oh this? No." JJ answers. "This is- it's my dad. You know? Has that right jab. Can really snap it off at times."

"That looks like more than a jab, JJ."

JJ shrugs it off. "It's nothing that hasn't happened before"

Guilt spreads across Pope's face. "I shouldn't have let you take the fall for all this. It's my fault!"

"No, it's not." JJ counters.

"It's my fault." Pope repeats.

"Shut up." JJ snaps

"You took the fall for me."

"Shut up."

"I'll tell the truth, go to the cops-"

"Shut up, Pope. Shut up." JJ cuts him off, grabbing his face. "For once in your life, trust someone else. John B and I got it all sorted out. I'll explain later, all right? Give me a minute with Frank."

Pope excuses himself, leaving just JJ and I on the dance floor.