Chapter 9

The next morning I wake up as I feel JJ leave the bed. He looks over at me as I stir in the bed.

"Hey, John B and I are gonna go get the HMS Pogue from the Chateau. We'll be back after we get Pope and Kie, okay?"

I nod, snuggling back into my blanket. My bedroom door closes quietly as the blonde boy leaves. I let myself drift back to sleep, thinking of our interactions last night.

I wake up about an hour later when my dad opens my bedroom door. "Hey, uh, there's a group of kids at the door for you. I'm headed back to the hospital, we're overflowing from the hurricane. Do you need anything, kid?"

"No, thank you." I give him a small smile.

"Okay, have a good day. I'll be back for dinner, alright?"

"Okay."

Honestly I was slightly confused. That was the most fatherly he had acted toward me since I had gotten here about a month ago. Maybe he was finally getting used to having a kid again. Or, maybe he realized he was a gigantic asshole and needed some character growth. Either way, I'm not complaining.

I crawl out of my bed, letting my feet hit the cold, hardwood flooring. Flynn nudges my door open as Dad leaves, trotting into my room happily.

I throw on a crop top and loose jeans shorts. I quickly pull my tangly hair into a rough pony tail. I pull on my shoes before making my bed. It seemed silly, but leaving my bed a mess bothered me.

I race downstairs, meeting the Pogues at my front door.

"Hey, guys." I smile at them.

"Hey, little red. Ready to go?" John B asks. I nod excitedly, following them out behind my house.

We all pad down the dock that sits along the water. I climb onto the boat after John B. He holds my hand, helping me step into the boat. The boat sways as I step on, rocking in the water.

The rest of the Pogue's pile in after as John B starts the engine of the boat. He takes off down the Marsh, speeding up as we go.

Kie hands me a beer without making eye contact with me. I take it, looking over at JJ. He shrugs, taking my beer from me and opening it. I take a sip after he hands it back to me.

"Hey, let me show y'all a party trick." JJ pipes up, standing. "Hey, Pope, can you go a little faster please?"

"Here we go, I'm moving." John B moves behind Pope.

"What's happening?" I question confused.

JJ climbs onto the front of the boat. The Pogues keep complaining at him as he lifts up his beer.

"We've tried this like 6,000 times." John B whines.

I stare, still confused as to what was about to happen. JJ stood with a foot propped on the very front of the boat. He holds the beer up, dumping it into his mouth with the help of the wind. Beer sprayed everywhere, missing his open mouth.

"Oh. Oh my god." I say realizing what was happening. I rush behind Pope, avoiding more beer spilling over me.

"Oh my god, you're getting beer in my hair." Kie exclaims.

"Alright. Alright you're done." Pope instructs from behind the wheel. "Stop."

Suddenly the boat halted to a rough stop, sending everyone forward. I slam forward, being thrown into the back of the seat in front of me. My hip bones connect with the hard plastic, creating a slight smack sound.

When I pull myself up I see JJ surface in the water. He had been thrown from the boat and launched into the water.

"Yo, Frank. You good? I heard that." John B checks on me.