Chapter 2

For the next week I slept almost all day everyday. Adjusting to the time zone of North Carolina was exhausting. Most days I lied in bed sleeping, watching TV or with my new best friend, Flynn. He hardly left my side since I had arrived in Outer Banks.

After a week of living here I was finally adjusted to the time. I had started to wander the house more. I spent time with Roni, getting to know her. I actually really liked her and enjoyed her company. We watched tv together and would walk the dog. She told me stories of how she met my dad at a Kook party.

Roni worked at a law firm as an attorney. She was incredibly smart and very invested in her work. She reminded me a little of my mum back home.

My dad and I had hardly seen each other. He worked almost everyday and when he was home he slept. I still don't know how he expected to get to know me if he was never around. It was just like before, I didn't feel relevant to him whatsoever.

My dad steps into my room. I look up from my laptop, a quizzical look crosses my face.

"Hey, kid." He voices.

"Hey."

"Can we talk?"

"I guess." I answer.

"I didn't have a choice when your mom left. All right? I couldn't ask her to stay because I had hurt her. I couldn't ask her to have you stay either."

"You're lying." I interrupt. "You wanted to go back to school. Am I wrong?"

"No."

"You didn't have time for us anymore. You chose a medical degree. You could have balanced it but you didn't it. You chose your work over family."

"I had no choice. I wasn't supporting the family financially anymore."

"I don't wanna hear that. You always have a choice. You left mom to be taking care of us and married someone else."

"Franklin.." Dad's voice trails.

"No. You left us. You made your decision, so you pay the consequences. I'm not gonna sit here and listen to you make excuses for leaving."

"Your mom is the one that left."

"Enough." I snap. "Mom left to protect us. She gave us a home, a new life. Oli and I needed our parents, we were six and ten."

"Don't you dare bring him up."

"Why?" I demand. "You're part of the reason he got so fucked up. You abandoned him. He needed a father. Mom did everything she could for us, but no matter what we were still left behind by you. We both grew up, facing abandonment issues. That was your fault." My father stays silent, looking at me. I can see the wheels turning in his head. "Why am I here?" I shout. "Why the hell did you want me to come?"

"I messed up. I lost my boy. I couldn't lose my baby girl too. I know I made a mistake, and I know you'll never forgive me. I just needed to know if you were okay. I can't lose you the same way I lost your brother."

I could feel angry tears burning in my eyes. "I'm fine. Leave me alone."

An angry look crosses the man's face before his expression drops to one of sadness. He nods, leaving me alone in my room.

A sob bubbles up in my throat. I bring my knees to my chest, hugging them tight. Sobs wrack my whole body as I cry. The air constricts in my throat as I cry.

I wanted to go home. I hated it here and I hated my father. I even felt anger toward my mother for making me come here, knowing the type of man my father was.

I hear footsteps padding across the hallway. Flynn comes running into my room, jumping up on my bed. He nuzzles his way into my lap, resting his head on my shoulder. I sob against him as he cuddles against me. I grab at his fur, pulling my dog close to me.

More footsteps sound before Roni appears in my doorway. "Can I come in?" She asks hesitantly. I nod. She steps into my room and comes to sit next to me on my bed.

I lean my head against her shoulder as she wraps an arm around me. She rubs her hand up and down my arm, comforting me,

"I know honey, I know. I'm sorry."

"I hate him." I whisper.

"That's okay." Roni reassures. A soft smile spreads across her face as she looks at the dog in my lap. "He's a good boy, huh?"

I let out a light giggle. "He is. Thank you for coming in here."

"Of course. You do have a place here, okay? I know this past year has been rough. Your mom actually reached out to me. But, just know you can always talk to me."

"I miss him."

"Oli?"

"Yeah." My voice comes out barely above a whisper.

"I lost my sibling when I was young too." Roni informs me.

"I'm sorry."

"My younger sister, Molly. She had kidney disease and eventually it killed her. It was hard, but you get through it, you know?"

"I'm still working on that."

"You always will be. He'll always be part of who you are. You were his baby sister."

I nod as she speaks. I really did understand every word she said. It was nice knowing we had something in common that really connected us emotionally.

"Thank you, Roni."

"Of course."