Epilogue

My dad packs the last bag into the back of his car. He looks over at me, a hesitant smile on his face. A frown finds it's way to mine.

"I know, kid." My dad say, placing a hand on my upper back. "We have to leave soon, now is the time for goodbyes. Take your car, go see your friends. And please stop by Roni's office to say goodbye again."

I release a sigh. "Okay."

I fish my keys out of my pocket, walking over to my car. I could feel tears burning in my eyes. I wasn't ready to go home. I had made a home in America, and that was once again, in the Outer Banks.

I start my car, pulling out of the long driveway. I stop by Roni's office first. I pull into the parking lot behind the building.

"Hi, I'm looking for Veronica Thomas." I tell the receptionist.

"Her office is the last door to the left." She points down a long hallway.

When i reach Roni's office I knock on the door frame, as the door was open. I could see Roni looking down at her work, eyebrows furrowed in concentration. Her head shots up, looking at me. A frown immediately makes its way to her face.

"No, it's not time already, is it?" She says standing from her desk. Her arms are immediately around me when she reaches where I stood. "Oh honey, I'm gonna miss you so much. I loved having you here."

"I'm gonna miss you too. Thank you for being such a cool mom." I tell her.

"Oh, Franklin. You're breaking my heart." She pulls away from me before placing her hands on my cheeks. "Come visit us soon, okay?"

"I will, I promise."

"Okay, darling. We'll see you soon, okay?" Roni says giving me one last squeeze. "I love you, kiddo."

"I love you too." I tell her before leaving her office.

I make my way over to Heyward's Seafood next, knowing that's where Pope and Kie were today. I pull my car into the parking spot next to Kiara's car. I walk into the shop, heading to the front desk. Pope shoulder bumps Kie when he sees me. Pope is the first to make it over to me.

"Hey, Pope." I say sadly.

"Franklin.. What the hell are we gonna do without you?" He speaks up.

Kiara comes up behind him. "God knows the Pogue's need their Aussie Kook. We're gonna miss you."

"A lot." Pope adds.

"I'm sorry I even have to leave." I tell them. "I'd stay, if I could, I really would, but my mom needs me. I can't let her stay there by herself. Not with Oli being gone too."

"Hey, we get it." Kiara reassures me.

"All of you?" I question.

"He knows, Franklin." Poor speaks up. "He's just having a really rough time right now. With John B gone, and you leaving too. It's a lot for him. He's not mad at you, he's mad at the world."

JJ had been distant for the last couple days. I knew John B passing would hit him the hardest. I also knew, my leaving would make him feel worse. I hated that I had to leave him, but I had no choice.

"I hate that I have to leave him." I say.

"He really cares about you, you know?" Kie says. I nod. "Thanks for keeping him happy this summer."

"Always."

"You should go see him. I know your flight leaves in the next couple hours."

"Yeah, that's the next stop." I reply. "Chateau?"

"Usually." Pope answers. "He's not working today."

"Okay." I release a sigh. "Well, thanks for letting me join the Pogue's for the summer. It was a wild adventure."

"You're welcome back anytime." Pope states, wrapping me in a hug.

"Seriously." Kiara adds, taking her turn to hug me. "Come back whenever you want."

"I'll be back as soon as I can." I tell them. I give them both a small smile before heading back to my car.

My hands had begun to shake slightly, the anxiety of my next stop was starting to hit. I release a shaky breath and start the car.

When I pull up to the Chateau, I spot JJ sitting at the end of the dock. I walk over to him quietly, hoping not to disturb his peace.

He looks up at me as I approach him. I take my seat next to him, putting my feet in the water after taking off my sandals.

"Hey, princess." He says quietly, almost a whisper. I knew he was breaking on the inside.

I grab his hand in my own.

"Remember that time you gave me your bracelet and told me you were coming back for it? For me?" I ask him.

"Yeah.."

"This is me doing the same." I tell him. I slide off the bracelet he had gotten me with the restitution money, keeping on his bracelet. I slide it onto his wrist. "I'm coming back for you, J. I promise."

He looks over at me after glancing at his wrist. "I know." He reaches up to my face, brushing a loose piece of hair behind my ear. His fingers trail down my neck, running over the bruises that had finally begun to fade. I could see the tears forming in his eyes.

"Oh, J, please don't cry." I wipe at a tear that had fallen down his face as my own begin to well up.

"I'm sorry." He says wiping at his tears. "I'm not ready."

"Me neither." He wraps his arms around me as I answer, pulling me against him. He presses a lingering kiss to my temple.

"You could stay, you know?"

"JJ, I can't."

"Why not?" JJ snaps a little.

"You know why."

"No, I don't. You're happy here. What about me? What about us?"

"JJ, I'm coming back."

"But you're still leaving in the first place!" He says, exasperated.

My phone starts ringing in my back pocket. I knew it was my dad telling me to come home. It was time to leave. I let out a sigh.

"JJ, please don't leave it like this." I beg.

"Like what?"

"I feel like we're leaving on bad terms." I explain to him.

"Well it's not good terms." JJ points out.

My phone starts to ring again.

"JJ..."

"Sounds like it's time for you to go." He states, looking over at me. He had a blank stare on his face. I knew he was hurting, but I didn't know exactly how he felt.

I stand up, sighing. "I promise you I'm coming back. I don't know what's going on with you right now, but I hope you know that I'd love to stay here with you. But I can't right now, I have to go home for a bit. I care about you, so much. There's never been anyone in my life like you. I'll see you soon, J."

He stays silent, staring out into the marsh. I release a sigh, tears welling up before slipping down my cheeks. I walk back to my car and get in.