Chapter 21

Kiara hands back a small package. John B takes it, analyzing the plastic.

"That's not gold." Pope points out.

"Holy shit." John B mumbles. He looks over to Pope. "This is from my dad."

Silence fills the air as we watch the brunet continue to stare at the package. I notice a small smile spread across Kiara's lips.

"Code red! Code Red!" JJ calls out. "Square groupers! Square groupers!" JJ whirls around, running at us. Ushering us to follow after him. JJ grabs my wrist as he runs by me, pulling me with him. I stumble over my feet as I catch up to the boy's pace.

"Go!" Kie demands.

"It's the guys who robbed your house." JJ states.

We hide on the other side of the tomb. A dark shadow being cast over us because of the other's flashlight.

"Light! Light!" Kiara tells us.

"John B, turn off your light." I say to him.

The sound of an engine comes to a halt. A man's voice erupts from beyond the fence of he cemetery.

"Hey! I think I see something!" A deep voice calls out.

"Do you think it's them?" Kie worries.

"Homies got a gun." JJ points out.

"Screw this." Kie snaps before taking off running.

"What?" I exasperate. I follow after everyone as they start to take off running.

We run back over to the fence we had originally hopped over. I brace my hands on the top of the fence before pulling myself up and over the wall.

"Come on, little red." John B encourages.

"Guys, I'm stuck. I'm stuck, I'm stuck." Pope announces. His shorts were stuck in the gate, keeping him from jumping off.

"Pope, come on!" JJ yells.

Kie looks at me, nodding her head at the boy on the fence. I nod in agreement before pulling the boy away. A loud ripping noise sounds as his pants tear.

"You're fine! Come on!" Kie quiets him.

"Pope, come on!" JJ repeats, running toward the van. "It's a little tootsie roll."

I burst out laughing at JJ's comment, following them to the car. We all clamor into the car, giggles and shouts coming from all of us.

John B takes off down the street, driving all of us back down to his house.

~~~

I watch as JJ spreads jam across a moldy piece of bread. I physically cringe as I watch the boy. He glances at me, his brows scrunching together.

"What? You don't like PB and J?" JJ asks.

My jaw drops. "Are you kidding? Did you even look at the bread?"

"That bread had mold on it three days ago." Pope adds.

"I'll just pull off the bad parts. Plus, mold is good for you. It's just a natural organism."

"Fucking ew." I mumble as I walk over where John B and Kie were looking at the envelope.

"Hot, Damn. Let's do it." JJ jogs over from the kitchen counter.

John B rips open the envelope as JJ takes a bite out of his sandwich. The blonde instantly gags, spitting out the bite he had just taken.

I shake my head at the boy, refocusing on what John B was doing. He pulls a piece of paper out of the envelope, unfolding it. The boy places the paper on the table, flattening it out with his hands, revealing a large map.

"Holy shit." John mutters as he analyzes it.

"Oh. X marks the spot." Pope points at a little x drawn on the map.

"Longitude, latitude." John B traces the light lines with his index finger. Wait there's something else in there." He grabs the package again, reaching into it. He pulls out a black object.

"What's that?" JJ questions.

"It's a tape recorder, dumbass."

"Okay, rude." I mumble.

John B presses a button on it. A deep voice erupts into the quiet air.

Dear Bird,

"Who's bird?" JJ interrupts.

"That's what my dad called me." John B answers.

I hate to say 'I told you so,' but I told you so. And you doubted your old man. I suspect, at this moment, you're filled with guilt and self-loathing over our last fight, but don't kill yourself just yet, kid. I didn't expect to find the Merchant either.

My eyes widen at his words. I glance at John B, whose eyebrows were raised high. I feel JJ's hand settle on my lower back as he leans closer.

You were probably right to call me out. Wasn't exactly father of the year. What can I say, kid? I could smell the barn. And hopefully, we're listenin' to this in our brand new sugar shack down in Costa Rica, living' off passive investments and pulling on permits.

In the background you could hear him sigh and what sounded like a gun being loaded.

If not, and you find this for less than optimal reasons, well, that's what the map is for. There she is, the wreck of the Merchant. If something happens to me, finish what I started. Go for the gold, kid. I love you, Bird, even if I didn't always act like it. I'll see you on the other side.

Static crackles as the man disappears. An eerie silence fills the air as the recorder clicks off. John B stands up, walking away. My heart drops as I watch John B sob, clutching onto the doorframe.

"Holy shit! He did it! Big John... He found the Merchant—"

"J, not now." I whisper to him.

"Go talk to him." JJ tells me.

"What?" I question confused. "Why me?"

He raises an eyebrow at me. I nod, knowing exactly what he was talking about. I had an idea what the brunet was going through.

I walk over to the crying boy, placing my hand on his shoulder. He looks over at me, tears steaming down his face. I pull him into a hug, his grip tightens around me, pulling me closer.