Chapter 20

John B pulls up the van to where Pope, JJ and I were hanging out behind Heyward's. I wasn't exactly sure why the boys had opted out of going to JJ's, but we went to the seafood place instead. Pope sat down tinkering around with something while JJ leaned against the cement wall, smoking.

"So, what's taking them so long?" I ask curiously.

"I don't know, they might've gotten caught." JJ says nonchalantly.

"Then why are we acting like that's okay?"

"Kie's dad would bail them out."

"What exactly are we looking for?" I question.

"You know how John B's dad disappeared? Big John was looking for the gold from the Royal Merchant Shipwreck. John B thinks he might still be alive, that's why he's bugging out so much."

I squint my eyebrows in confusion, but before I could ask another question the familiar brown van pulls up beside us. Pope stands from his project heading over to the vehicle. JJ looks over at me.

"Come on, princess."

I follow the boys into the van, climbing into the back.

"We're going to get, Kie." John B announces.

"What happened?" Pope asks.

"It's a long story." John B responds.

Soon after, he pulls up to the Wreck, stopping the van. John B looks over at Pope. "Go get her."

JJ turns to me from the front seat. "What was that about?"

I shrug shaking my head. "Who knows." I answer.

Pope comes back a moment later. He stands on top of the deck, gripping the railing as he yells out to us. "She says she's not coming." Pope announces.

"Why not?" JJ asks throwing his hands in the air. JJ looks over at the brunet. "What did you do to her, John B?"

"Shit." John B exasperates, hitting the steering wheel with both hands. He sighs before opening his car door. "Hang on. I'll deal with it."

"There's defo something go on between them, right?" I ask JJ.

"Oh, for sure."

Pope walks back toward the van, climbing into the back with me.

"Did she say why?" I ask Pope.

"Not really. She was just very adamant about not coming with us."

Moments later, John B walks back out the door with Kiara in trail. The boys both start cheering as the girl approaches the van. She rolls her eyes with a smile on her face. I notice her smile disappear as she pulls the door open, revealing me in the back seat.

"Oh, hi, Franklin."

"Hey.." My voice trails, revealing my mild discomfort.

John B starts the car, pulling into the street.

"Are you gonna tell us where we're going?" Pope asks next to me.

"I'll explain when we get there." John B informs us.

We ride in silence as we head toward the location.

After awhile JJ speaks up as we cross the bridge. "Mind if I just relax in this one?" JJ asks. "It's been a long day, and a lot of weird stuff's gone down. I'm just gonna lay low." He looks over at Pope, offering it to the boy. "Oh, did you want a hit of this?"

"I keep the signal clear."

"Dude, okay. Do you understand that your problem is that you don't get creative? If you got creative then—"