Chapter 6

Later that day, Roni was in the kitchen while Dad picked up the house. I sat in front of my room upstairs getting ready for dinner. I hear soft music click on down stairs. I throw a pair of heels on and head downstairs.

As I reach the bottom of the stairs I notice Roni and my dad dancing together in the kitchen. Dad held Roni close to him, his hands looped around her back. Roni had her own arms loosely wrapped around my dad's neck.

I watch them sway back and forth, staring into each other's eyes. I didn't have a lot of memories from when I lived here before, but I knew Dad never looked at Mom like that.

Honestly I was happy for my dad. I was glad he had found his person. I liked Roni a lot.

A knock on the door pulled me from my own thoughts. "I got it!" I call out.

I open the front door, revealing JJ standing there. He wore decent black slacks and a blue polo shirt. I could tell he still wore his typical boots which made me smile. In his hand he had a bouquet of lilies.

"Hey, princess- Wow, you look- you look nice." JJ stumbles over his words as he looks me up and down.

"You don't look so bad yourself, Maybank." I feel my heart flutter in my chest after his nickname for me.

A light laugh escapes his lips. "Oh, these are for your stepmom." He hands me the flowers.

"Thank you." I smile. "Come with me."

"Dad!" I call out walking into the kitchen. I didn't wanna startle him and Roni if they were still dancing.

"Yes?" Dad says looking over at me from where he now leaned against the counter.

"Do you have a vase for these?" I ask holding up the flowers.

"Oh, yes." My dad walks over to cabinet before rummaging through it. He pulls out a glass vase and fills it with water for me. I thank him, placing the flowers into the vase.

"You must be JJ." Roni announces walking back into the kitchen. "I'm Veronica." She holds her hand out to the blonde.

He shakes it. "JJ." He introduces before turning to my dad. "It's nice to meet you both."

"Thomas."

"I've heard lots about you." Roni explains.

"Okay, I think that's enough." I state, ending the conversation. I could feel a light blush heating up my cheeks.

The doorbell rings out just then. I sigh a big sigh of relief. My dad steps out of the kitchen, disappearing into the Foyer.

"Come, sit." I grab JJ's hand, pulling him over to the bar counter. We sit behind it as I hear more voices fill my house.

JJ squeezes my hand before releasing it. "Relax." He whispers to me. I let out a breath I didn't realize I'd been holding.

"Sorry."

"It's okay." JJ gives me a small smile.

My dad steps back into the kitchen, followed by a family of 5. A man reaches out to me. "Franklin, it's nice to finally meet you. Ward Cameron. This is my wife, Rose. And my kids, Wheezie, Sarah, and Rafe."

Rafe gives me a sick smile. Today he had a new accessory of white tape displayed across his nose. My eyes widen when I realize who he was. The image of my fist connecting with his nose flashes through my mind.

"It's nice to meet you." Rafe tells me.

I nod, unable to say anything. I tune out as the conversation begins to build up between the adults. Sarah and Wheezie sat off to the side while all the adults talked amongst each other, including Rafe.

"Do you wanna go out back?" JJ asks me, sensing my discomfort with the situation.

I nod, standing up. "We're gonna get some air." I announce before following JJ into my backyard.

"Why did no one inform me he would be here?" I ask JJ dramatically.

"Because they think you haven't met him. How would they know you tried to break his nose?"

"Ughhh, I don't know." JJ laughs at my drama.

His laugh cuts off when the sound of the sliding glass door catches his attention. He spins around to look as Rafe Cameron steps outside followed by Sarah.

"So, Rafe tells me you were trying to get with my boyfriend." Sarah states.

I'm taken aback for a second. I had no clue who this girl was and she was already trying to blame me for things I certainly didn't do.

"What the hell are you talking about?" I demand.

"Topper."

"I definitely did not do anything with Topper."

"Don't lie to her." Rafe speaks up. "I was there, I saw you with your hands all over him."

"The only person I had a hand on was you when I tried to knock your teeth out."

"Yeah, don't think I'll let you get away with that you little bitch." Rafe threats.

"Hey, man. Don't talk to her like that." JJ demands.

"Or what?"

"Dude." JJ warns.

"I don't get it Rafe." I speak up. "You're older, right? Like 19 maybe? So why are you still hanging out with kids? Is it because the other adults see right through your precious little Kook façade?"

Rafe steps toward me. "What did you just say to me?" A daunting look on his face as his stare bores into my eyes. I keep my breathing steady, not allowing him to see the fear that was now coursing through my veins.

"You don't scare me."

"Really?" Rafe says, stepping closer. I could now feel his hot breath fan across my face as he speaks to me.

JJ steps between us, pushing the other boy back. "Back up."

"Don't touch me." Rafe growls.

"Why don't you go back inside?" JJ suggests.

"I don't think so." Rafe says staring JJ down.

"Rafe, that's enough." Sarah finally pipes up.

"Stay out of this Sarah!"

"Cut the shit!" JJ yells. Rafe brings his arm back before connecting his fist with JJ's cheekbone. A loud gasp escapes my lips.

I push Rafe away from JJ who was now staggering backward cupping his cheek.

"What are you gonna do? Huh?" Rafe demands from me. "Hit me again?" He grabs my arm, yanking me toward him. "Don't be stupid, Franklin."

"You're hurting me." I wince at his right grip. His grip tightens. "Rafe, please!"

"Step away from my daughter." My dad's loud voice booms across the backyard. Rafe immediately let's go of me, slowly backing away.

"Sorry, sir."

"Don't ever touch her ever again."

"Yes, sir."

"Cut the bullshit and go inside." My dad turns to me. "Are you okay?"

I nod, walking over to JJ. I grab his arm, looking at his face.

"I'm okay." JJ tells me.

"Let's get you guys back inside. I'll have the Cameron's leave, okay?"