Chapter 37

"Welcome to crackhead wasteland." Sarah states as we drive through a low income neighborhood filled with mobile homes.

"I don't know about this, man." Pope speaks up.

JJ pulls the van up in front of the guy's, who's name I have now learned is Barry, house. He stops the car, pulling out the keys.

"Dude, what are we doing at Barry's?" Pope asks.

"This'll only take a second." JJ informs us before climbing out of the driver's seat.

I pull open the door in the back. "JJ, where are you going?"

"I'll be right back, Franklin."

"Where are you going?" John B demands.

"Yo soy justicia."

"Did you glean anything from that?" Pope asks us.

"You know, someone probably should—" Kiara starts.

"Yeah, I got it." John B says climbing out of the car.

"Right."

Pope looks over at me. "What was that back there, Franklin?"

"What do you mean?"

"Everything that happened between you and Barry."

"I'm the richest kid on the island, Pope. He probably just wants to harass me a little bit."

"How can you just announce that?" Kiara asks me furiously.

"It's true. It's not like it's my choice. That's just my story here. I didn't even know until I got here."

"It makes you sound like a total bitch."

"You know what? I'm not doing this right now." I crawl out of the back of the van and walk around to the front. I lean against the front of the van, waiting for the boys to come back. The rest of the Pogues get out of the van too, hanging around the side of the van, giving me space.

After a couple minutes JJ finally comes out of the house, a large duffel bag in his hand. "All right, so we're looking at five grand each for reparations for putting us through that bullshit." JJ grabs a stack of cash out of the bag, flipping through it.

"Are you stealing his money?" I ask, stepping away from the front of the van and toward the boy.

"So that's what we're doing now? Robbing drug dealers?" Kiara snaps.

"This Barry guy's gonna find out." Sarah adds. "And he's gonna come after us."

"Yes, he will. This is not the time to start wilin' out." Pope agrees.

"How'd you like having a gun pulled on you?" JJ demands.

John B steps up to JJ, getting close to his face. "Relax.

"He had it right here on you, bro." JJ points at John B's face.

"Look. We've gotta go get the gold, okay? Just give me that shit." John B reaches for the bag in JJ's hand, taking it. JJ lunges at the brunet, shoving him against the side of the van with a loud bang. "Do you feel like a tough guy? Huh?" John B challenges. "What are you gonna do when he comes for us? Comes for her?" John B jerks his chin toward me.

JJ glances at me, his expression softens for a split second before he turn back to John B.

"We punch him in the throat." JJ's voice drops low and threatening.

"Yeah, good fuckin' idea, JJ."

"I'm not putting it back." JJ states, taking the bag back. He gets into the back of the van. "You guys getting in or what?"

"JJ—" I start.

"What?" JJ demands climbing out of the van.

"We're sick of your shit." John B says.

"Oh, my shit?" JJ questions.

"No—"

"Yeah, yeah. Your shit." John B cuts me off.

"Yes." Kiara speaks up. "Your pulling guns on people shit."

"You acting like a maniac—"

"Pope!" I warn, cutting him off.

"Okay, Pope, I took the fall for you, man!" JJ yells exasperated. "Know how much money I owe because of you?" You could tell JJ was hurt by what the Pogues were saying.

"I'm gonna pay you back, and I didn't ask you to do that!"

"I just did! Pay it back." JJ yells. "Right here, right now, by myself." He pauses a moment, looking around at us. "You know what? That's exactly what I'm gonna do. Go off, by myself."

"JJ." He looks over at me. A sad look spreads across his face.

"Come on, man. Don't you wanna keep her safe. Look what you're dragging her into." John B grumbles.

"Bro, that's my girl." JJ tells him, eyes connecting with mine. I feel butterflies rise in my stomach. I take a deep breath, I knew now wasn't the time for that.

"She's staying with us." John B sets a comforting hand on my shoulder, keeping me in my place.

JJ shakes his head angrily before he turns away, walking away from the rest of us. I felt my heart drop into my stomach, watching his back.

"How can you guys do that?" I demand looking at all the Pogues.

"Do what, red?"

"Act like he hasn't put himself through a load of shit for you all."

"Franklin..."

"You don't ever get to use me against him like that, do you understand?"

"I'm sorry." John B says quietly.

Before I know it my legs are moving as I follow behind the boy. John B tries to grab my hand to stop me, but I yank my wrist out of his hold.

"JJ!" I jog after him, trying to catch up. He disappears behind a group of trees, concealing him from the rest of the group. I finally catch up to him, calling out his name again. "J!"

I knew he heard me but he kept on walking. "JJ Maybank, look at me!" I demand.

He turns around, looking at me. The angry expression drops from his face as he looks into my eyes. "He's right, you know? Franklin, I'm no good for you. Do you understand?"

"I-I don't care." I shake my head quickly. "Because I know that's not true."

"Franklin..."

"No, JJ. You don't get to just push me away. We're in this together now, okay?"

"No, Franklin. I can't see you get hurt, all right? It'll destroy me."

"You think watching you walk away from me isn't destroying me?" Tears were burning in my eyes, threatening to spill over. "I'm not gonna let you just walk away. You can't do that to me, JJ, please."

I hear him let out a sigh. "Fuck it." He walks over to me quickly and smashes his lips against mine. His hands grip my hips tight as my arms wrap around his neck. He kisses me passionately, pulling me tight against him so my back arches. He pulls away moments later.

"Please don't go." I whisper.

"Franklin, I have to do what's right, okay?"

I nod, sighing. I knew he was right.

JJ looks down at his hand before pulling off one of the beaded bracelets he always wore. He takes my hand in his own and slides the bracelet onto my own slender wrist.

"I'm coming back for this." He tells me.

"Promise?" I ask.

"I promise. I'm coming back for you, okay? Stay here, keep your self safe, all right?"

I nod, pulling him back into a hug. I bury my head in his chest, breathing in his scent. JJ's own arm wraps tight across my shoulders. I pull away, knowing he had to go. He looks down at me. I couldn't tell what he was feeling at all. He places a hand on my cheek, pressing a lingering kiss to my lips before turning around and walking away.