Chapter 11

"Well, that was fun." JJ chuckles. "Could've warned us a little sooner."

"We would've. Except Pope was on the math team." Kie excuses.

"You were on the math team?" JJ questions Pope.

"You really think he wouldn't be?" I speak up with a smile. I was sitting on the hood of the HMS, next to JJ who was laying on his side across the front.

"The cops took everything like it was a crime scene. Did you guys find anything?" Pope asks.

JJ sits up, pulling things out of his pockets. "Did we find anything? No, I don't think so." JJ quips. He pulls out a pile of cash and a dark hand gun, pointing them in the air. "Oh, yeah, we did."

I flinch backward, moving away from him. I rush across the boat, stepping behind John B. "Yo! What the hell are you doing?" I demand.

"Dude, what?" Kie questions, standing up from the side of the boat.

"Dude, chill. Come on."

"Why take that from a crime scene?" Pope asks incredulously.

"Better than cops having it."

"Seriously?" I question in disbelief.

"I'm gonna lose my merit scholarship."

"Hey, hey, sh sh sh." JJ wraps an arm around Pope's shoulder, bringing the gun close to Pope's face. "At least you have us right?"

"I'm living the nightmare." Pope says pulling away.

****

We all sat on a dock back on the island. A large crowd of people had collected around the area. I was sat between John B and Kiara, watching the chaos go down.

Paramedics wheel a body on a gurney down the dock. A woman sobs as she follows just behind. She catches up, crying over the body.

My heart drops as I watch the interaction. Last time I had seen something like this, it was my mum crying over my brother's body. I feel my eyes gloss over with tears.

I look over at JJ. His eyes widen slightly in realization. He moves closer, setting a hand on my shoulder in comfort.

"Relax." He whispers close to me. He squeezes my shoulder lightly.

"Who is that?" John B asks, looking over at the commotion.

"It's Scooter Grubbs." The girl responds. "He was out during the storm. Check out this pic I got." She boiled the phone out for everyone to see my I turn away so I don't see. "Dead body!"

"Holy shit." John B mumbles.

"What kind of boat did he have?" JJ speaks up.

"Somehow, that dirtbag copped a brand-new Grady-White. Everyone's out looking for it." John B glances over at JJ and I. "Well, I gotta go. I'll see you guys later." The girl gets up from her seat wandering off.

"So.." I speak up.

"Yeah." John B breathes out.

"How did we manage to see the boat twice and it just so happens to be the boat in a crime scene?"

"I don't know. We should get back to the Chateau." John B shakes his head.

"I'm gonna have to get back home and check in with Roni. I've been gone all day."

Truth was, I needed some time to myself after seeing Scooter. The reminder of this past year was too much for me. An overwhelming sadness had taken place in my chest. I had a lot of PTSD after my brother, seeing the dead body had reignited the sense of dread.

"Are you sure, Franklin?" Pope speaks up.

"Yeah. I'm already in the hot seat at home. I probably shouldn't be getting in more trouble."

"We'll get you home, okay?" John B tells me. "Come on guys."

When we get to my house JJ offers to walk me inside. I nod, allowing him to walk with me. I step inside, JJ following behind me.

"Franklin?" I hear Roni's voice ring out.

I drop my head as Roni steps into the room, not wanting to talk about anything that happened today. JJ places a hand on my lower back.

"Did you hear about the dead body they found in the Marsh?" Roni asks us.

"Yeah." My voice comes out quiet, just above a whisper. I could feel tears burning in my eyes.

"Unbelievable." Roni says in shock.

"Roni..." My voice trails. "Can you give us a minute?"

"Oh, sure." She responds evidently confused by my standoffish demeanor.

"You okay?" JJ asks, grabbing my upper arms gently. I close my eyes, dropping my head. JJ places a hand under my chin, tilting my head back up. Tears had begun to make their way down my cheeks. The blonde's thumbs run over my cheekbones, wiping at the tears.

"It's just hard." I whisper.

"I know."

"I miss him."

"Come here." JJ wraps his arms around my waist as mine wrap around his neck. "It's gonna be okay." I nod against him before pulling away, wiping at my tears.

"Thank you."

A small smile spreads across his lips. "I should probably get going. I'll see you later?"

I nod. I press a kiss against his cheek. "Go. I'm okay."

"Bye, Frank." JJ smiles.

"See you, J."