Chapter 4

Roni comes up to my room the next afternoon.

"Hey, honey. Your dad is having some friends some friends over for dinner. They are already on their way. They have a son your age so he's requesting you come."

"I had plans with a friend." I say slightly disappointed.

"Is it possible for you to cancel? Or postpone maybe?"

I sigh. "Probably, but I just met him. I feel bad canceling already."

"I'm sorry, hon."

"Why is he wanting me there because of their son?" I ask.

"They come over often, your dad is good friends with the Thornton family. He just worries you're lonely here."

"I made a friend last night when I was surfing." I inform her.

"That's good!"

"Okay, well let me get ready for this dinner." I say.

"Formal attire." Roni states.

"Seriously?"

"Yes, they're another wealthy family. Your dad has done a lot of business with them."

"Okay, fine."

Roni leaves, getting the hint I was getting annoyed. I let out a sigh, walking over to my closet. I pull out a black jumpsuit I had brought with me from Australia, throw it on along with some nude strapped heels. I pull my hair up into a ponytail before heading downstairs.

When I reach the last step a knock on the front door echoes through the house. I look out the peep hole. A family of three stands together. They all had on formal outfits like I was told to wear.

I open the door, revealing myself to the three. "Uh, hi." I greet.

"You must be Taylors' daughter." The women says.

"Franklin." I hold out my hand for her to shake.

She does. "Cynthia."

"Pleasure."

"All mine." She turns to her son. "This is my son, Topper."

"Topper?"

"Yes."

I cringe on the inside. Why Topper? I lead them into the kitchen where Roni was cooking at the stove while my dad sat at the bar.

Roni turns as we enter the room, a wide smile spreads across her face as we enter. "Cynthia!" She greets excitedly.

"Hello, Darling." Cynthia greets back.

"Sit." My dad instructs. "Dinner will be done in a bit."

"Actually, I was thinking Franklin and I could go for a walk." Topper finally speaks up. I look at him with a look of confusion.

"Oh, sure. It'd be great for you kids to get to know each other." Cynthia smiles.

Topper grabs my elbow lightly, leading me outside. The cool air immediately causes a chill to go down my spine.

"Oh, sorry. I didn't think about how cold it would be." Topper begins to pull off his jumper. "Just wanted to save you from how incredibly boring those dinners are." He hands his jumper to me.

"Oh, thank you." I give him a small smile.

"How do you feel about parties?" Topper asks me.

"At the boneyard?" I question.

"Yeah."

"Perfect." I smile.

We small talk as we walk down to the beach. It ended up being kinda far. Topper was funny and charismatic. I liked him.