Chapter 40

JJ and I sat at the end of the dock. The blond sat with his legs spread apart enough for me to sit comfortably between them. I laid my head back on his toned chest, feeling his thumping heart beat.

I now had on his t-shirt and my shorts to cover me, while JJ had on only his sweats from earlier. The wind still chilled me to the bone but the body heat coming off the boy kept me warmer.

"Life would be a hell of a lot simpler if this was it." JJ  speaks up.

I lean forward so I can turn to look at him. His eyes bore into my own, making my breath hitch in my throat. "What do you mean?"

"Just you and me. A normal summer where I meet an incredible girl and have the chance to spend time with her and get to know everything about her."

"I'd like that." I agree softly.

JJ reaches up and brushes a strand of hair that had fallen into my face behind my ear. His pale blue eyes stared into my own blue green ones with a crazy intensity. I lean in and press a soft kiss to his lips. His hand comes up to cradle the back of my head.

"I'm crazy about you." JJ mumbles still looking at me.

I let out a light giggle. "Who would've thought Mr. Suave could be such a cornball?" I tease.

"Hey, watch it, Frank."

"Careful, J. The pogues might catch you simping. We both know they never let you live that down."

JJ rolls his eyes with a smile on his face. There's a pause in the conversation as JJ speaks up. "We should probably go crash, it's been a long day."

I nod, standing up from the wooden dock. I rub at my tailbone that had grown sore from the hard surface.

JJ grabs my hand and leads me into the house again. This time we go into the guest room. I lay down on the soft bed as JJ settles in next to me. He pulls me closer to him, so I lay my head on his chest.

We'd layed like this many times before, but now it was different. Before it was a comfort thing between two friends. Now, it felt special, like everything was at peace as long as I had him there with me.

JJ presses a soft kiss to the side of my head before relaxing against the pillow. I ran my fingertips over his bare chest as he began to doze off. His breathing becomes slower and calm.

"Princess?" JJ mumbles out.

I look up at him.

"Sleep." He whispers. "I'm okay." His hand moves to my upper arm. He traces patterns into my skin, lulling me to sleep. I buried my head deeper in chest, draping an arm across his stomach, finally letting sleep overcome me.

~~~

I woke up to the sound of soft voices in the living room.

"You think she's good for him?"

"I know she is." I hear Pope say.

"I miss him."

"Look, I've never heard JJ talk about anyone the way he talks about her. His eyes light up every time she's around or we mention her."

"I know." Kie sighs. "I don't want him to get hurt."

"I don't think she would. You ought to give her a chance."

"I just... I don't know."

I decide to get out of the bed. I press a soft kiss to JJ's temple before sliding out of the bed. I throw on a pair of socks I found in the dresser and step out into the living room.

Pope's gaze moves from Kiara to me. "Hey, we saw your car in the driveway."

"Yeah, I uh, I found him." I tell them.

"No kidding." Pope says glancing at the shirt I was wearing. "Is everything all good?"

"It's not my place to tell." I say honestly. "He had a rough night but he's okay."

"I'm glad you were there for him." Kiara speaks up.

"Me too." I say, my eyes drifting to the floor. An uncomfortable silence fills the room.

"Franklin..?" Kiara catches my attention again. I look up at her, her brown eyes meeting my own green ones. "I really appreciate everything you've done for him. I haven't seen him this happy in awhile and I know it's because of you."

"Thank you." I whisper in shock. I glance back at the bedroom door. "I'm gonna go check on him, get him up. We'll be out in a bit."

"No worries." Pope says as I turn back toward the room.

I walk back into the room, JJ now lies on his back, his arms above his head. I slide a leg over his hips so I'm straddling him. I feel him stir underneath me. I lay down so my head rests against his chest.

I feel his arms wrap around my back. "Good morning, princess." His voice groggy from sleep.

I sit up so I can see his face, my hands bracing me on his toned chest.

"How are you?" I question hesitant. I wasn't sure how things were gonna be between us after everything that had happened last night. Between the hot tub and us sleeping together, I had a feeling things might be weird.

A small smile forms in the boy's lips. "I'm good."

"Yeah?"

"Franklin.. I meant everything I said last night, okay? On the porch all the way to on the dock. I really care about you."

I lean down to press a lingering kiss to the blond's lips. His hands brace on my hips, pulling me toward him.

"Still crazy about me?" I tease.

"Borderline losing my sanity." He answers. I laugh against his lips before pecking him again. I sit up, pulling him with me. My arms wrap around his neck loosely. His own rest around my lower back.

"Pope and Kie are here." I inform him.

"Did you tell them anything?"

"No, J."

"I wanna be the one to tell them." JJ tells me.

"I know, that's okay."