Chapter 29

Roughly half way through the movie I hear the boys start to whisper amongst themselves.

"What are you two doing?" I ask as the boys stand, catching Kiara's attention.

"Gotta wring it out." JJ whispers.

"You gonna hold it for each other?" Kie questions. An amused laugh escapes my lips.

I sigh, looking back at the movie screen, refocusing on the film. A yellow flash out of the corner of my eye catches my attention. I look over to see Rafe wandering over to where the boys had headed. I stand up from my seat quickly and jog over to cut him off.

"What do you think you're doing?" I question him.

"Just stretching my legs. What about you, princess?"

"Don't call me that." I say immediately.

"Struck a nerve, hm?" Rafe taunts. "Is that something your boyfriend calls you?"

"I don't have a boyfriend." I snap.

"You know, for some reason I don't believe you." Rafe's voice drops. He grabs my wrist , pulling me toward him.

My breath catches in my throat, fear beginning to course through me. "Let go of me."

"What? You'll try to break my nose again?"

"Do you want me to?" I ask.

"You know, your little boyfriend is over there. Maybe we should see how he reacts if I were to do this." Rafe's index finger traces my jawline, tipping my chin up so I am looking up at him. He pushes me up against a tree that was behind him, spinning us around.

"Rafe-"

"What?" He whispers in my ear.

I raise my knee up, hitting him between the legs. He lets go of me, stumbling backwards. "You stupid, bitch."

"Franklin?" I look over to see JJ and Pope jogging over to me. "What's going on?"

"I- I don't know." I shake my head. "He was making his way over to you two and I-"

"Tried to come on to me." Rafe says standing up.

"What's up Rafe? What do you want?" JJ challenges, knowing the other boy was lying. "Isn't it past your bedtime?"

"I wanna talk."

I see Topper and Kelce making their way over too. Both their chests puffed out. My heart thumps in my chest, knowing shit was about to go down.

"Woah, just chill out, Topper." Pope instructs the boy.

"Yeah, that was some nice work you did on my boat."

"I- I don't know what you're talking about." Pope says backing up. I feel a hand grab my wrist. I look over to see JJ pulling me behind him.

"Oh yeah, of course you don't." Topper snaps.

"Not so burly without a gun now, are you?" Rafe taunts JJ.

"Take one more step, I'll rip that prepubescent face off." JJ threats back.

"Hey, Pope. Do you feel good, stealing shit?" Topper asks. "I mean is your mom proud of you? Is your dad?"

Pope's face drops into an expression of rage before he throws his head forward, connecting with Toppers face. The sickening crack of bone on bone erupts into the air making me cringe.

"Now, attaboy!" JJ encourages. "With your fist, like this, okay?" Before JJ could throw a punch, Kelce is tackling him, making him take a few steps back. He lets go, giving JJ space to connect his fist with Kelce's face.

The boys all break out in a fight. I back away from the fight not sure what to do. My heart pounds in my chest as I watch the boys throwing punches at each other. Rafe and Kelce toss JJ back and forth, both hitting him.

I step forward just as I see Kiara running at the other boys fighting. "Topper, stop! Fascist asshole!"

I walk up to Rafe, pushing him away from JJ. "Leave him alone!" I demand. "This was between you and me."

"He's the soft spot, isn't he?" Rafe asks. I bring my hand up, palm connecting with his face.

"Don't you dare."

"Why? Afraid he might see what this is?"

"This is nothing, you psycho. Leave me alone." Rafe smirks down at me. I pull my arm back, ready to hit him again, but he grabs my forearm, yanking me forward. My momentum pulls me forward causing me to fall to the ground. The wind gets knocked out of me. I groan, sitting up.

Rafe grabs me by my waist hoisting me to my feet, he thrashes me around before throwing me to the ground again. I wince as my back hits a rock, I could feel it pierce my skin. I reach back, touching the area. I look down at my hand, blood splatters across my fingertips.

"Shit." I mutter.

I look up to see Topper with his arm around Pope's neck. "You don't mess with me, Pogue!" Topper shouts. "You hear me? I'm gonna give you one chance! One chance, Pope!"

I get to my feet, swaying a bit from being knocked around. "Topper..." My voice trails. "Don't be stupid." I beg.

"Come on! You got something to say?" Topper continues.

"Topper!" I yell again.

I stumble back when I see the movie screen light up in flames.

"Guys, fire!" Kelce announces.

I cough as the smoke fills the air surrounding us. I gasp, trying to suck in clear air.

Kelce finally lets go of JJ. Rafe grabs his friends shoulder, pulling him with him as the Kooks walk away.

"Holy shit, you almost killed him." I hear Rafe say to Topper.

"Sick bastard." I mumble.

I jump when I feel hands on my upper arms. "Franklin." I hear JJ say. "Hey, princess." A hand on my cheek. I finally focus my eyes on the boy in front of me.

"You okay? You're bleeding." I just continue to stare. "Franklin, talk to me."

"I'm- I'm fine."

"Are you sure?" My eyes connect with his. I nod as he pulls me into a hug.

"I'm okay." I repeat, sure this time. "Thanks for saving my ass."

"Thanks for saving mine."