Chapter 44

I stand in between JJ's legs as he sat on the railing of the dock behind the chateau. His hands sat on my waist while my own arms were wrapped around his waist, my head resting on his chest.

Kiara was sat a few feet over on the other side of the dock, looking down at John B who laid on his back on the floor.

"You sure he got everything?" Kiara asks.

John B had just informed us that Ward had taken all the gold from the Crain house. When he had gotten there earlier in the day, there had been Cameron Development equipment all over the property.

"Every bar. The whole enchilada." John B informs us. I look over as John B grunts. I watch as he yanks off his cast, leaving his arm bare. He tosses it to the side in frustration. "It's not like I expected a happy ending or some shit."

"John B—"

"What, Kie?" John B demands. "It's a hairline fracture. Who cares?"

JJ turns to look at the two other Pogues, blowing a puff of smoke into the air from his joint.

"You should care. Your arm's gonna be messed up for life."

"It's fine. See?" John B lifts his arm in the air, wiggling his fingers for the girl to see.

I look away from the brunet when I hear loud footsteps stomping down the dock. Pope runs down the dock, shaking the old wood.

"Guys! Oh! Oh! Oh, god! I ran all the way here!" Pope pants. He braces his hands on his knees as he sucks in air.

"You alright?" John B asks the boy.

"How was the interview, Pope?" JJ questions, finally speaking.

"Don't ." Pope grunts. "JB... Look, I'm sorry, dude. About everything."

"It's fine." John B mumbles.

"But— but I don't have a lot of time, a-and I have information that is tactically relevant. So, before I had my interview, my dad said he was going down to the private airstrip to cut palms for Cameron's big plane. Because it was too heavy, it needed a longer landing strip to take off. So, I'm there sitting in my interview, thinking to myself, 'Hm, why would Cameron need a longer airstrip to take off?'" John B sits up, looking at Pope quizzically. "'What would be so heavy to weigh it down?'"

JJ sits up straight, unwrapping his arms from around me. "Gold."

"That's right." John B agrees.

"Exactly!" Pope freaks out. "Guys, this is our chance, but it leaves tonight, and we have to go."

"Guys, we can't give up now." Kiara announces, jumping down from her spot in the railing.

"What's the plan, big man?" JJ asks the brunet on the ground.

"We're gonna steal that shit back." John B states.

"Hell yeah we are." I agree. "We gotta go, now!"

***

"We go in there, guns a-blazin', make Ward Cameron beg for mercy, abscond with as much gold as possible and vámanos, get the hell out of there."

"Send that shit down the Intracoastal." John B adds.

"Wait for the weather." Kiara says.

"Exit to Cuba." Pope finishes.

"Cuba?" I question in confusion.