Chapter 12

That evening my Dad and Roni sat me down at the table. Roni sets dinner plates in front of each of us before sitting down. I watch the two adults in confusion. I had no idea what they were doing.

My dad is the one to speak up first. "Franklin, we would like to discuss today's events with you."

My heart pounds in my chest at those words. "Why?"

"Your mom informed us you are very weary of death."

"I found my brother's dead body." I deadpan.

"I understand that. Roni told me you seemed off when you came home this afternoon. I just wanna know how you're doing?"

"I'm fine, really."

"Franklin..." Roni tries.

"I really don't wanna talk about it." I cut them off. Tears were starting to collect in the corners of my eyes. I feel my bottom lip beginning to quiver.

"Honey." My dad says.

"Can I be excused?"

"What?"

"Can I be excused?" I say louder.

"Franklin. We just wanna help." Roni points out.

"Well I don't want it. You're not my mom. And you," I turn to my dad. "You weren't there then, you certainly don't get to be there for me now."

"Okay." My dad holds up his hands up in defeat.

"Can I be dismissed now?"

"Yeah, sure." My dad sighs.

"I'm going out. I'll be back later."

"Franklin." My dad calls. I ignore him, not answering. "Franklin Elle!"

I grab my thin jacket that was hanging on the coat hanger next to the front door. I could feel a sob bubbling up in my chest as I get ready. Tears were rolling down my cheeks.

I pull the front door open. JJ stands on my front porch with his hand up as if he was about to knock. His brows immediately come together in concern.

"Franklin? What happened?" JJ asks hurriedly.

That's when I broke. A sob bubbles up in my throat as I close the front door behind me. He pulls me against him, cradling my head against his chest. I wrap my arms around him, pulling him close. I tremor against him as sobs take over my body.

"Frank? What's going on?" JJ murmurs.

"I-" I take a deep breath composing myself as I pull away from him. I wipe at the tears trailing down my cheeks. "They just kept asking about today. And I-" I choke on another sob. "I couldn't do it."

"Hey, hey." JJ coos, cupping my cheeks. "It's alright." I nod in his hands. He presses a soft kiss to my forehead. "I got you. Let's get out of here, yeah?"

"Yeah." I breathe. JJ wipes his thumbs over my cheeks, wiping off the remaining tears. He grabs my hand, pulling me with him.

He walks me over to the familiar brown van. I climb into the back with him, joining Pope.

"Hey party people!" John B says excitedly.

I look to JJ, confusion evident on my face.

"Keggar." JJ informs me.

"Oh."

I was honestly okay with a party. I needed the distraction desperately.

Pope looks over at me, as if analyzing my face. He places a hand over mine, catching my attention. A familiar look of concern crosses his face. "You good?" He mouths.

I nod at him, with a small smile. He gives me a curt nod before looking forward again.

JJ's hand slides into mine. It wasn't romantic, it was a comforting thing. His callouses were rough against the soft skin of my own palm.

"You okay to party?"

"Yeah." I answer seriously. "I want to drink."

John B pulls up to the Boneyard. I climb out of the van after the boys as they grab the keg from the back. They carry it over to the beach excitedly.

"Tally-ho." John B calls out.

We walk further into the sand. My feet sink with every step. I release a shaky breath, letting go of all negative emotions I was feeling before. I let a gust of wind blow off all of the stress, letting it carry off in the wind.

The boys set the keg down, beginning to set it up. Pope opens up the bag of red plastic cups he had been carrying while JJ pumps the keg. JJ open the end, spraying John B in the face, who's mouth was open wide. The beer sprays John B all over his face, leaving a sticky film behind. JJ aims at me next, I run away, a giggle escaping my lips.

He continues to fill cups with the pale gold liquid, handing them out to us. I grab my cup, thanking the blonde before taking small sips.

Over the next couple hours more and more people show up. The beach now full of bodies, some drunk, some high, most both.

I sat on a log, cup in hand. A tall brunette, makes his way over to me. I look up at him, squinting at the bright sun in the sky. He takes the spot next to me on the log, holding his hand out.

"I'm Jason." He announces.

I shake his hand. "Franklin."

"You're the new Kook, right?"

I feel my face twist in disgust. I still hated the whole Kook and Pogue thing. I stand up from my spot on the log. "Bye."

I slowly make my way over to John B. His brows furrow in confusion, watching as I walk away from the boy.

"What was wrong with him?" John B asks me.

"He called me Kook." I answer.

"Damn, went for it, missed by a mile."

"I swear the next person that calls me that, I'm gonna drop them."

"Well, shit, Frank." John B laughs.

"It's so annoying." I giggle. My smile drops when I notice JJ drinking with a few girls. I couldn't help but feel a little bit jealous. I knew I shouldn't. I wasn't his girlfriend and I definitely wasn't the only girl he talked to.

John B's silly demeanor drops a moment. "Hey what was wrong earlier? You looked like you'd been crying when you got into the van. Is everything okay?"

His questions catch me off guard, making me hesitant. "Oh, uh, I was just shaken up after seeing Scooter."

"Oh, yeah I get that. I'm sorry, Frank."

"Oh it's okay. I'm much better now." I answer.

"What is she doing here?" A third voice pipes up. I turn around to see Kiara. An angry expression on her face as she stares ahead of us. I turn around, searching for who she was talking about, praying it wasn't me this time.