Chapter 25: Getting To Know The Diva, Pt. 1

*a few weeks later*

Lanza POV:

Ever since Evelynn came to keep me company we've been spending some time together when we can as fellow demons. Right now, I was holding a small slice of raw steak up in the air on the balcony for one reason. The falcon that found us at the cemetery.

"How long do you think until he comes back?"

"Give it another minute or two. He's coming back." I hope. My arm's starting to tire out. Thankfully, I heard the screech of the bird as I saw a diving figure barreling down to the piece of meat in my hand. "Come get it, buddy." Watching, he put his talons forward before swiping the slice of steak from me, letting out another screech before coming back to perch on the balcony rail. "Eat up. You did a good job, boy." He tore into the steak as I brushed my finger over his feathers, Eve coming over to look at the bird of prey.

"He's such a beautiful creature. Where did your father find him?"

"We were out on a trip two years ago. Dad had gone to go look for some firewood and came back with this bird having a broken wing. We did our best to treat the wing and let him go once it was healed. After that, we never saw him until we visited Dad. I have missed this bird. It's nice to see him flying." The falcon finished up his slice of steak before walking onto my arm, perching himself there as I pet his head. Walking over to a little place I built him, he hopped into his balcony home and sat down, content with today. "See you later, buddy." He let out a small squawk as Eve and I went inside the penthouse.

"You know, it's occurred to me that there still isn't a lot I know about you." Humming, I turned to her.

"Where do you want me to start?"

"From the beginning, if it doesn't bother you." Nodding, we sat down on the couch as I took a breath as she laid her hand on top of mine. "I won't rush you, so take all the time you need." Nodding once more, I began telling her my story.

"When I was a kid, I had lived the very early parts of my childhood in that dojo. But not everything was going to be sunshine and rainbows. All because of my grandparents." Her eyes lit up in concern.

"What did they do?"

"My grandparents didn't like who my mother had married herself to. To them, this was a grave dishonor and a sign she was trampling on the clan legacy. Tch. Clan legacy, my ass. You pushed away your daughter without getting to know her husband first." Eve's eyes darkened a bit before returning to their normal light as I continued. "Anyway, after a bit we moved out and lived in the outskirts of the city, where we met Akali and her family. After that, we became best friends and had each other's back throughout our years in school. When we graduated high school, she confessed her feelings to me and I did as well, establishing our relationship as boyfriend and girlfriend. Then I vanished off her radar for a couple years."

"Off to pursue a music degree in college, right? Akali mentioned that a while ago." I nodded.

"Yeah. That's where I met my bassist. We got along pretty well since we were studying the same subject. After a long two years we finished and graduated, starting our band. And the rest is history." She nodded as I took a deep breath, fishing out a hidden bottle of bourbon from a compartment in the couch. Placing it on the table in front of us, I went to the kitchen and grabbed two glasses as I gave Eve one. Opening the bottle of bourbon, she held her glass out as I poured the alcohol into it, then poured myself a glass. We both drank as I put my glass on the table. "It's my turn to ask about you, Eve. Anything of interest you'd like to share?" She thought for a few minutes while occasionally sipping her bourbon, before shaking her head.

"Nothing really comes to mind, sweetie. I'll let you know when there is."

"Deal." I filled our glasses again and sat in a comfortable silence. After I finished my glass, I put it on the table as I rubbed my face and yawned as I shook myself out of it. Standing up, I could tell Eve was concerned by the look in her eyes.