Prologue

Akali POV:

*a few years ago*

Finally, graduation day. Now I can get out into the world. I was called up, my excitement bubbling and itching to get my body moving. I took my diploma and shook the presenter's hand, then took my spot. I looked to my right to try and spot my best friend, easily setting my eyes on him thanks to his silver tipped hair. He caught my gaze and nodded with a small smile, which turned back to a neutral expression as I composed myself too. The last students were called up for their diploma, as the principal gave his final sentence.

"Ladies and gentlemen, your graduates!" At that, we all tossed our caps into the air before retrieving them and putting the tassel on the other side. A photographer came up and had us get together for a group photo. I stood right next to my best friend, who had this big smile on his face.

"Alright, say mocha!"

"Mocha!" Once the picture was taken, I looked over at my friend, who stared at me. I put on a big, dumb smile, the kind I could make him laugh at. And he laughed, heartily.

"So, what's next for you?"

"Well, considering the fact I got the music diploma as well, might as well start making music. What about you, Akali?"

"You know I love rapping."

"Gonna post some rap battles?"

"You know it."

"Never change, Aki. Never change."

"There you go again with that nickname, where'd you even come up with it?"

"Just to make your name shorter when I'm tired in the mornings, and... it sounds cuter." Wha?! Cute?!

"Wha-whaddya mean, cute?!" I felt the heat rush to my cheeks as he chuckled. "Hey! Don't laugh!" I pouted at him, which only ended up making my blush worse once he did what he was going to do.

"Sorry, it's just... I wanna see how red and embarrassed you could get before I do this." His lips then planted themselves on my cheek for a few seconds before he pulled away. "じゃねーよ, Akali." He tugged my cap over my eyes as I listened to his fading footsteps. My brain then started replaying what he did as the blood and heat rushed to my face again. I groaned in embarrassment as I pushed my cap back up so I could see. My parents were silently laughing to my dismay, my mom stifling her giggles while my dad gave me a thumbs up. I sighed and touched the cheek he kissed. I patted my pants as I felt a bump in one of the pockets. I snaked my hand in and pulled out a paper note folded up. I unfolded the note to see familiar handwriting. Lanza's custom, self-taught cursive writing. On it, the note said 'Keep rapping, and I might just let myself get roasted to hear that super sweet, silky smooth voice. Love ya, Aki, with all my heart.' I read it over a few more times before my brain registered the words, then a smile came to my lips as I folded the note.

"You really know how to capture a girl's heart, Lanza..." I walked over to my parents, who were curious as to why I had yet another big dumb smile on my face. I showed them the note, and they practically exploded with happiness. I listened as they ranted on about my best friend being perfect for me, when my dad suddenly said that Lanza and I should get married in the future. I started blushing as I yelled at him in embarrassment. He merely chuckled as I huffed at him. After leaving the school for the final time and entering home, I changed into more comfortable clothes, pulled up my phone and called Lanza. It took three rings before he picked up.

"Hey, Aki."

"Hey. That was sweet of you earlier, with the note."

"Well, it's the truth. Every time I hear that voice, I wanna hear more of it."