Chapter 20: Knowing Your Girl And Your Man

Lanza POV:

*three days later*

After the dojo event, I refused to make contact with my grandparents, something that my family mutually understood. They were too focused on appointing the next head of the clan before they pass, and never once paid any mind to their own daughter and grandchildren. For me, that is unforgivable to the highest degree. I spent time with Ahri as per Akali asking me to take some time to know her better. So I decided to take Ahri to a coffee shop for a first date. Nothing too fancy, and besides, we both have way more than enough money ourselves to go to the highest-end places. But not now.

"So, you want to know more about me, right?"

"Yeah. It would paint a better picture of you aside from the big idol persona."

"Well, strap in. This is a bit of a long story."

3rd POV:

"It was a couple of years ago, I was still a new idol rising fast in the world of K-pop." We see a younger Ahri ending her dance routine for a song.

"Cut! Okay, everyone, let's take a quick break!" Ahri relaxes, with a seemingly tired expression on her face as her manager gives her a thumbs-up. "That was a perfect take, Ahri! This song is going to top the charts, I'm sure of it!" Ahri and her manager walk to the snack table as she responds. 

"Thanks. The song is... fine."

"Just fine?"

"All this, it really isn't me. It's cute, fun... harmless. I feel like I'm only playing a part."

"Well, yeah. But aren't we all in the end?" Ahri grabs a cookie off a plate as she responds to her manager's question.

"I'd like to perform my own songs. I thought that was why you signed me onto this label."

"This song is what the fans want! It tested super well with the focus groups. We'll get to your songs, promise." Ahri stares at her manager before angrily retorting.

"You've promised that for the last year." Her manager starts getting nervous before the other staff call out.

"And we're back! Reset!" Ahri begrudgingly returns to the set as her manager watches and takes a bite out of a cookie.

"A year later, I talked to Eve about my next move for my career." We see Ahri and Evelynn in a restaurant, eating steak and talking when Ahri tells her friend about her plans for the future.

"I'm breaking my contract, Eve." Evelynn looks unfazed by Ahri's answer as she responds.

"That's a lot of money you'll be leaving on the table. Not to mention you'll be walking away from an almost guaranteed path to a big and safe career."

"I didn't start writing music to be safe. I started because I had something to say. A hunger for something more. A chance not only to raise my voice, but others around me. I want to start a new group, produce it myself, lead it.. with you." Evelynn smiles at her friend as she humorously responds.

"And here I feared the rising pop star Ahri was all fluff. Who knew you had fangs after all?" Ahri smiles, letting her two canines slightly show as they clinked their glasses together.

Lanza POV:

"That's basically it. What about you?" I looked away, thinking about my difficult life. I took a deep breath before looking back to my fox girl and placed my hand over hers.

"I never had the easiest life, even as a kid."

3rd POV:

"I was born from a relationship my grandparents didn't approve. To them, the clan was everything, and my mother's actions soiled the legacy it had. After Shiro was the last one to come into the world, I was already spiteful of my grandparents. They never once paid any mind to us. In their eyes, their daughter had fallen from grace." We switch from the cafe to the Fujihara clan dojo, where Lanza is swinging his sword, cutting through the air as Lanza swings over and over in multiple directions before bringing a downward slash to the ground as he pants lightly, sheathing his sword. "This was an hour before I found out we were leaving the dojo for good. I wanted to spar with Ryouichi one last time."