Chapter 13: The Last Op

Lanza POV:

*A few days later*

Everyone from our squadron arrived and was holed up in the floor below us in a massive fused apartment, settled in and ready to do their job. I was in my room, cleaning my guns and doing usual maintenance when I heard Phantom at my door.

"Partner, there's some women at the front door."

"K/DA?"

"...Yes."

"Let them in."

"Yes, sir." I quickly reassembled my guns and stored them away in their cases, locking them up as I made myself presentable. Walking out to the living room, I saw the K/DA ladies sitting on the couch as I had a feeling as to what they were doing here. Turning to my partner in crime, I whispered to him.

"Get the others. I got a feeling they're gonna ask me about the service time."

"I'll go fetch them, then." He walked out as I sat down on the chair adjacent to the couch, my brothers and Jack coming down as well.

"You girls want anything to drink?"

"We're okay for now."

"Alright, then." I heard the door open as I watched the rest of my squad walk inside the penthouse. Turning back to K/DA, my expression turned stoic as I spoke in a lower tone. "I have a feeling you came here for one reason. More about my time in the service."

"That's right..."

"You know the drill." I then turned to my squadmates. "Back the facts for me, yeah?"

"Wilco." The girls did what we did at the bar as I began the memory.

3rd POV:

"This was a month or so after that village raid we had done. The final power was cornered, but he wasn't alone. He rallied many of his home people to his cause, to retaliate against us. Our only move at that moment was to respond in kind. We rallied up every soldier we could dig up."

The scene shifts from the penthouse to a briefing room, Lanza, his squadmates, and dozens upon dozens of soldiers as their commanding officer walks into the room.

"Ladies and gentlemen, today is the day we fight back and destroy this force for good. For too long has the influence of terror run rampant in this place. Today, we tear it all down!"

"Oorah!"

"Lieutenant Relampago, you and your squad will lead the charge on this."

"Yes, sir."

"We had discovered he was holed up in a factory thanks to our scouts. We needed all hands on deck for this op, so we decided to forgo the need for sniper support. The platoon we had formed was prepared to eliminate every threat that came at us."

"That morale boost was quite a sight, wasn't it?"

"Damn right, it was."

The scene changes again to the desert, soldiers marching with tanks as Lanza leads the platoon to the factory.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is the point of no return. Do not let them take you alive. Are we clear?"

"Yes, sir!"

"Then let's go clean out this place." The soldiers march ahead of the tanks, the latter parking atop the dunes as the soldiers ready for the charge. Lanza raises his hand as the tank cannons take aim.

"When I dropped my hand, the final, real battle began. Where all our cards were on the table, every dirty trick we had up the sleeve revealed."