Chapter 17: Class Reunion/An Eternal Vow

Lanza POV:

*a few weeks later*

Goddamn, the album sold like hotcakes when we released it to the public. One week, almost all of the first batch of copies were gone before more were made and shipped out. This is only our... second? Yeah, second album 'cause we fit a lot of our concert setlist onto it. Anyway, I had just gotten a call from Akali who said that our high school reunion was tonight, and we should go. Obviously, I'm gonna go, who do you take me for? But there's something else I need to make clear for Akali, how far I'd go to protect the kunoichi I fell in love with in high school. Putting on what the school wanted us to wear as attire, I looked in the mirror as I straightened my clothes out.

 Putting on what the school wanted us to wear as attire, I looked in the mirror as I straightened my clothes out

Walking out, I saw the rest of my bandmates in suits and ties.

"You didn't think we weren't going to figure out what you wanted to do at your class reunion, now did you?" Smiling at them, I walked out as I saw Jack's truck parked outside. Getting in my Ferrari, I led Jack to the suburbs where I spent most of my childhood and adolescence with my siblings and Akali. Driving to the school's student parking, I parked up as I saw one of the staff light up seeing me. My favorite teacher when Dad was unable to test my skill level.

"Lanza! It's good to see you well! And with such wealth to your name!"

"It's good to see you doing well, too, Sensei Akamine. How are the ones fresh to your kendo class?"

"They're all stubborn. Kind of like you, actually." I chuckled at her joke as she looked at the truck. "Is that Kiro and Shiro I see?"

"Yes, Sensei. They're helping me out with something."

"Ah, I see. That explains the guitars and drums."

"Yep. Well, would you be kind enough pass on the news that I'll be on stage later."

"Of course. It's good to see you, my favorite student."

"You too, my favorite teacher." We parted ways as we were directed to the auditorium. My bandmates took the instruments backstage as I went out to the floor to interact with my former classmates and see how they were getting along. After a bit, I felt a tap on my shoulder and a kiss on the cheek.

"Sorry I'm late, babe~" Turning around, I swear my heart stopped looking at the dress my girlfriend was in.

"Well? Like it?"

"I... I love it. It fit you so damn well."

"Thanks." Turning to her fully, I pulled her in by the waist.

"Oh! Aggressive right off the bat, are we?"

"This doesn't even hold a candle to when I bedded you." She lightly blushed as I kissed her, smirking smugly as she laid her head on my chest as we slowly danced, putting ourselves in our own little world for a bit. Eventually, I stopped as Akali looked at me.

"Something wrong, babe?"

"Akali, you know how much I love you, right?"

"I do."

"I don't know if I can express it enough... These scars, I got them to protect not just our home and its people, but you. But it's not enough."

"Baby..." I heard Kiro call my name from the stage as I let go of my girlfriend's hands.

"Stick around, okay?" She nodded as I ran to the stage, slipping behind the curtain as Jack set the mic up in between him and Shiro's positions. Taking the mic in my hand, I switched it on as the others went to their instruments, the mic crackling to life. "Hey, everyone. I'm sure most of you remember me, especially if you were in Sensei Akamine's class. For those who forgot or never met me, I'm Lanza Del Relampago, or as some nicknamed me in Sensei's class, 'The Spirit of Muramasa.'" Some of the former students murmured in thought as I continued. "Well, I can say that I'm doing well, for those who wanted to know. I, uh.. made it big in the music industry. I'm sure you've seen the album that nearly sold out a couple weeks ago." More murmuring, but a bit more louder. "Well, there's a song I wrote a long time ago, for a girl I promised to protect when we underwent a war between nations. Akali, baby. This song is dedicated to the promise I made to myself a long time ago."

Lanza:

I, will, run alone tonight
Without you by my side
I guess you had a place you had to get to
I know, your, eyes
I know inside, the walls you hide behind
And I saw the truth, inside the real you

Because I know you're lost when you run away
Into the same black holes and black mistakes
Taking all my will just to run alone
When are you coming home?

Even if the sky does fall,
Even if they take it all,
There's no pain that I won't go through,
Even if I have to die for you!
And when all the fires burn,
When everything is overturning,
There's no thing that I won't go through,
Even if I have to die for you!

One, day, the Earth will open wide
And I'll follow you inside
'Cause the only hell I know,
Is without you...
Some, day, when galaxies collide,
We'll be lost on different skies
I will send my rocket ship,
To find you...

Because I know you're lost when you run away
Into the same black holes and black mistakes
Taking all my will just to run alone
Until I bring you home

Even if the sky does fall,
Even if they take it all,
There's no pain that I won't go through,
Even if I have to die for you!
And when all the fires burn,
When everything is overturning,
There's no thing that I won't go through,
Even if I have to die for you!

S/K/J: E-yo! E-yo! (x8)

Lanza:

And if the sun grows cold for you along the way
And if the stars don't line to light the way
And when you fall away and crash back down below
I'll search the skies for you and I'll follow...
In your afterglow...
And I'll bring you home...

Even if the sky does fall...
Even if they take it all...
I can't see, but I'll follow you...
Even if I die...
And when all the fires burn,
When everything is overturning,
There's no thing that I won't go through,
Even if I have to die for you!!

S/K/J: E-yo! E-yo! (x8)

As I looked out to my former classmates, one by one they started applauding as I looked to Akali, who was close to bursting into tears. Sliding down to the floor, the crowd parted to give me a path to the love of my life, as she ran into my arms. Catching her, I held her close as I let her cry into my shirt for a minute before bringing her into a loving kiss, the crowd cheering as we broke, gently pressing our foreheads against one another.

"I promise to protect you now and forever, baby. If I die, then I'll die to protect you." She gently shook her head, placing her hand on my cheek.

"Dying is far too easy to do. Live for me, my love. Stay with me until death do us part."

"I will, my love. Until death do us part." She smiled in relief before we hugged, lightly swaying as I watched the rest of our classmates partner up with one another and dance slowly. Dying for a promise... now it feels petty to do that for the one I care for. Embracing my childhood friend and lover, I whispered the three words I've uttered into her ears ever since we graduated, letting the night run its course of this emotional ride of a reunion.