Chapter 5: Scars, Secrets, and Surprises

Lanza POV:

Once we had finished showering, we waited in the living room while Shiro finished cooking. I heard a knock at the door, so I walked over and opened it, revealing my sisters there.

"Hi! Are we late?"

"Nope, you're early. Come in, take a seat." Yumi skipped into the living room before I heard her squeal in excitement.

"Aki-nee! You're here!" I watched as she glomped Aki, the both of them giggling like they were gossiping in school about somebody.

"Good to see you, Yu-chan." Yumi released the hug before booping her on the nose.

"Aki, we aren't that much older! Just call me Yumi like the old days!" Shino walked up next to me with a puzzled look on her face.

"Was she like this before, Lanza?"

"Nope. Although you all are gonna be in for a secret from her!" Yumi stopped talking as a small blush painted her face.

"Oh? What has our adorable little sister been hiding from us?"

"Nii-chan...! No...!" She buried her face in her hands as she groaned in embarrassment.

"You'll have to find out. I think Kiro should hear this."

"You're right. I'd like to know what our baby sister is keeping so top secret."

"You promised you wouldn't say anything!" I leaned back, pretending to look offended.

"I made no such promise, little sister. All you told me was that you had a little cru-" She ran over and slapped her hand over my mouth to stop me from speaking.

"Shut up...! I can't have one secret kept between us without you running your mouth..." She removed her hand as I spoke again.

"You're stuck with this idiot brother of yours, Yumi. Deal with it." Shiro cleared his throat and announced his presence in the room.

"Dinner's ready. Just gotta wait on-" The knock on the door cut him off as I checked it, seeing my mom standing there.

"Oh... Hey, Mom..." Her expression was stern, but instantly turned to relief when she saw me.

"My baby boy..." She practically strangled me in a hug, getting a strained groan out of me.

"Mom, don't snap my spine in half, please... I like walking..." She let go, allowing me to breathe.

"Because it was once, I'll let it slide tonight. Anything else after this, you're getting the guilt trip, no exceptions." I sighed, knowing my fate would be sealed if I overdosed again.

"Yes, Mom. I understand." I scratched the back of my head as I heard everyone but Aki, Shino, and Kiro chuckle at my misfortune.

"Well, let's eat!" Aki stood up and vanished into the dining room, the rest following suit while I stayed with Mom at the door.

"Lanza, are you thinking of going back?" I looked at her dumbfounded. Why would she ask this out of the blue?

"Mom, what do you mean?"

"Going back to the battlefield. The very same one that cost you your comrades." I sighed before speaking with resolve in my voice.

"Mom, that is done. They fought their damnedest, and believed solely in the cause they fought for." She let out a small sigh and nodded, pulling me into a gentle hug.

"Lanza, you have a lot to live for. Don't toss it in the trash. I lost my husband, your father, but did I let that bring me down? No. Because I have you all. You and your brothers and sisters. I see your father in each of you. He's immensely proud of all of you. You wanted to be known and make a difference, and you did. Remember, when things try and bring you down, reject them and fight back. Eventually you will win. Understand, young man?"