Chapter 1: New Band In Ionia

Akali POV:

*A few years later*

Back after Lanza dropped me off at my house all those years ago, I got the news from his parents that he was going to college to pursue a music degree, and that it was his last week before he'd have to move to the campus dorms. I was upset, don't get me wrong, but he's always wanted to make the big time in the music industry. So I let it slip, despite his inability to call me from his college. As for me, I ended up in K/DA thanks to Ahri, who found me after a social media post involving one of my rap battles and a lot of searching the web. She introduced me to Evelynn and Kai'sa, and together, we made some killer music, with all our talents involved. This morning in the penthouse was a somewhat typical day. We had a morning stream for our fans, but today was quite different.

"Morning, guys."

"Hey, Akali!" I turned to Ahri, facing the camera to me as I gave a lazy wave to the fans watching, trying to fix my bed head. "Well, we have some interesting comments from our fans... Huh? A new band on the scene?" That got my curiosity, so we asked the fans what they meant, and their answer was a link to a video of some kind.

(Remember, all media used in this story belongs to their rightful owners)

We all listened to the song, the vocals standing out to me. There's only one guy I know who can manipulate his voice to sing in different tones and make it sound like it's not his own voice, but it can't be him. He's probably still getting his master's degree. While I was swimming in these thoughts, the rest of the band had to snap me out of my trance.

"...Kali!"

"Wha?"

"You were spacing out. Are you okay?"

"Y-yeah, totally fine. Just thinking..." I rolled my necklace in my fingers, thinking back to when Lanza first put this around my neck.

"About what, darling?"

"Just someone really close to me..." Crap, I shouldn't have said that!

"Oh? Does that someone involve that necklace?" Well, too late now. Might as well tell them about Lanza.

"Yeah. It was back in high school. One of my best friends who I had known for a long time, his name was Lanza. He and I had each others' backs throughout our school years. After graduation day, we confessed our feelings to each other, making our relationship official. Unfortunately, life happened and he had to go to college to pursue his dream of making music. After that, it was like he disappeared off the face of the earth. I never saw or heard from him since."

"Oh my..."

"I've managed, but I really miss him now. Argh, I promised myself I wouldn't get sappy if I told you guys." I blinked back a few tears before deciding to change my clothes. "I'll be going out for breakfast."

"Are you sure?"

"I can defend myself, you guys." I took out my kunai and showed them that I was prepared.

"Alright..."

"Later." I left the penthouse, taking the elevator down to the garage. I went to my motorbike, putting on my helmet. Driving out of the garage, I headed to a ramen restaurant for breakfast. But first, a cruise around to work up my appetite a bit. Maybe I'll stop by the manager's office. Yeah, I'll stop by. So I high-tailed it to the office, coming up on the stoplight right before it. Before I could even move when the green light flashed, a black blur flew by, stopping at the valet parking at the office. I parked up at the sidewalk, putting the kickstand out. Getting a closer look at the rider, they rode a bike very similar to my best friend's. But... he couldn't have sold it, right? That thing was precious to him. I caught the custom plate on the back of the bike, numbers and letters combined to read: D3M0N. Demon? Now that I think about it, I never checked the plate of his bike back on our date. I watched the rider walk in the building, then I followed behind them to do what I was gonna do. Drop by the manager and talk. I tuned in to the conversation happening between the rider and the receptionist.