Ch.17 Family

After informing the guys about the dinner with my mom, and listening to them whine about not coming with, I started looking for something to wear. Unfortunately I hadn't been counting on my mother's persistence and left all my nice clothes at home.

The only thing I had that would be suitable were some black jeans, a navy blue t-shirt, my black leather jacket, and my black combat boots. No doubt I would get a few comments on it.

When the time finally came, I had difficulty even walking out the door. Now don't get me wrong I love my family, their great, it's just that.. well it's hard to explain. Thankfully none of the other noticed my discomfort.

The ride there was nice. The wind in my hair, the feeling of being free. I wish it never ended. Unfortunately for me it did and all too soon.

There it was, my childhood home. Just as it had always been. The grass trimmed, gardens weeded, all prof of my parents hard work. There were so many memories here, happy and sad.

We parked in the driveway and headed up to the house. "Just to warn you in advance my family.. is a little much." She seemed a little confused. "How bad can they be?" I knew she was only joking a little, but all I could manage was a tight smile.

I turned back towards the door. I could practically hear my heart beat, and my anxiety was so strong I could almost taste it. You don't have a choice, I reminded myself, you have to do this. And with that I rung the door bell. We didn't have to wait long before the door opened.

A tall man who was a little over weight opened the door. "Hi dad." I greeted with a smile. "Rook!" He exclaimed in his usual loud voice. "Come in, come in. Your mother said you were bringing a guest."

We walked into the house, right into the mud room. While it wasn't much of a room but we called it that anyway. It was actually a small section that was connected to the kitchen dinning room. It had a small closet and some hangers on the wall for coats.

It looked like nothing had changed since I had left. The table was still in the centre of the room while the kitchen was against the wall. Mom had still kept the island separating the kitchen from the dinning room. The only thing that seemed to have changed was the decorations on the table and the fridge had been replaced. It was possible that mom had also repainted the walls but I couldn't quite tell. Perhaps it had always been that beige colour.

We took off our coats and boots before heading into the living room that was just off the dinning room.

I honestly didn't know what to expect, it had been a while since I had talked to my parents. I half expected them to scolded me for staying away so long.

"So how have you been?" He asked, making conversation. "I've been good. How about you? How have you and mom been?" Though I hadn't been there in a while I was interested in their well-being. "Oh we've been good, you know keeping busy." It seemed slightly awkward, as if he wasn't sure what to say.

"So who's your friend?" When I was younger he often teased me for not having friends, as I never invited mine over. "Oh this is my soul sister.." I was suddenly very aware that after all this time, I had no idea what her name was. "I'm Arcee." She cut in, I couldn't have been more grateful in that moment.

Arcee offered her hand to my dad. "Charles." He replied.

We were there for hours talking, catching up. I could only be thankful something didn't go horribly wrong. Though Shane glared at me the entire time all through out dinner, he never said anything that. But then again he was always like that, mommies little spy. He would gather information and use it against me, telling her of all my wrong doings.

I was never more glad then when it ended. Gave mom the excuse that we had paper work that needed to be done, thankfully she never questioned it.

We left the house with smiles and empty promises to come back soon. We then drove off back to the hotel.

I was exhausted, but that always seemed to happen when I spent time with my family. I leaned on Arcee, hoping I wouldn't fall asleep on the ride there.

We didn't say anything until we were back in the hotel room.

"Sorry I dragged you along." I apologized. "It was fine, it was nice meeting your family." Arcee replied. I turned to her just managing a smile, before falling asleep.