1. The Diamond Veronica

"Veronica! The carriages are waiting outside! We do have a long ride to London my darling! So come along quickly!" Mother calls from just outside my room. I sigh as I take one last look at myself in the mirror before opening my bedroom door greeting my mother.

  We are leaving for the social season in London England. Though London is not the home I resign in, I have spent many summers there working on my studies with the finest teachers and tutors. I know a girl is not supposed to attend school but my parents thought that I should have a somewhat equal brain to my future husband even if it is 'unnatural.' I always knew the day would come where I would have to leave for my social season, and I always knew that I would feel sick to my stomach from nerves although I am amazing at hiding it.

The truth is I am terrified of marrying. I am supposed to be this perfectly delicate and innocent woman who is up for grabs of any man who seems fit, but the whole idea of the season does truly bug me deep down. If it truly is to gain a husband for social status, how am I to truly be happy? How am I to be in love? I mean just looking at my parents gives me this fear, sure they make a beautiful and successful couple but they don't seem to love each other as you read about in the storybooks.

I know that I will be marrying for status, not love, just like them. My father has been putting this pressure on me for as long as I could remember. Sure my family is strong enough to hold the titles of Baron's and Baronesses, but my father is expecting me to grow my standing on the peerage system, he wants me to marry a viscount or higher and that terrifies me. I am the eldest and only daughter in my family, after all, my only other sibling is an older brother making my family quite small. What if I can't even get the attention of a viscount or man of higher status, or even worse what if the only man who shows interest in me is some old wrinkly man who cares none for a girl like me, what if I do not love the man I will have to marry at all?

"Well, Veronica are you feeling prepared?" Father asks as the carriage takes off, taking me away from the security and serenity of my home, my beautiful safe Northern home.

"Yes Father, I am quite prepared. You and Mother have been prepping me for this my whole life, I don't think I could be any more ready if I tried. I mean I could be a little less anxious but I am prepared," I reply turning my gaze back from my father to the carriage window trying to distract myself.

"Well after seeing that Duchess Daphne Bridgerton that was the diamond of the season last year I am prompted to believe that you have an amazing chance of becoming this year's. You are just as beautiful maybe more and I know that your elegance and grace rise above all of your peers," Father continues.

"Hopefully you are right," I simply reply. Yes, when I have eyes watching I do hold pride in my elegance and grace, I have always been a very proper girl. But when I am alone keeping up that level of propriety is exhausting, I am afraid I won't be able to perform gracefully 24/7, and I am horrified that will screw my family and me over.

"Well get some rest child, we have a long ride to our home away from home," Mother demands as father's conversation comes to an end.

***

"Veronica we are here," Mother carefully explains waking me from my slumber. We have seemed to have arrived late in the midnight. The sky is dark and asleep and the glaze of the candlelit street lamps are the only form of light showering the London cityscape. Sleepily stepping out of the carriage I make my way to my room, it isn't quite as large as my one at home but it is still marvelously nice. The second my head touches my pillow I am asleep.

"My Baroness Veronica Kingston, it is time for you to wake. There is lots of preparation to do for your big day. You are expected to be in your attire in less than an hour and at the palace in less than two," One of the house servants informs me waking me from my slumber.