18. A New Point of View

Matilda and I left shortly after I finished eating my meal, I claimed that I was beginning to feel unwell. In a way I guess you could argue I was, my heart was so conflicted it made me sick. Being at the Bridgerton's house was exciting at first but soon I became overwhelmed and then sad. They were kind enough to send us back home in one of their carriages , a ride in which I graciously accepted.

Matilda didn't say a word to me the whole ride home, it has been a few hours since our return and her silence has continued. I cannot say that I am disappointed by this, instead I could argue that it makes me glad. Usually I would love words of wisdom from her, but now I need my space. She doesn't even know all that's wrong with me internally but she did see enough at the Bridgerton's to have some suspicions.

While recalling my time at the Bridgerton's I frown at the thought of Anthony, regarding Eloise's wishes. Remembering his personality from this afternoon hurts, he seemed so desperate to reach me and I tried nothing in return. Pushing him and his family's questions away was my only option despite the pain it brought me but I guess it's the right thing to do... for Eloise that is.

On the way home I was lucky enough to run into my dear friend Luke Chambers, someone who I wasn't expecting to see but beyond relieved to run into. We had a brief conversation summing up our activities from the past few days and agreed on meeting up tonight at the ball to talk even more.

My time back at the estate so far has been just alright, my mind has obviously been flooded with thoughts and feelings. But my nieces do a good job at distracting me which is dearly needed. Heaven knows I need to be occupied to not let my mind wonder to thoughts of the Bridgerton's and terrified thoughts of my mother (whom I am still not allowed to see).

"Veronica it is time to dress," Matilda smiles entering the room Daisy and I are playing in.

"Oh alright," I reply handing the doll Daisy let me borrow back to her before getting up to follow Matilda to my chambers.

"May I come, pretty please?" Daisy asks fluttering her eyelashes and her childish wits.

"Sure," I sheepishly reply taking her hand before making my way to my room.

Once inside my quarters I smile at the sight of my dress, a navy blue one with sapphire accessories set out to go along with it.

I allow Matilda to help me into my under layers, corset, and then my dress. Daisy watches eagerly the whole time and even offers to help me brush my hair, an offer I reluctantly accept.

"I wish I had golden hair like you Auntie Veronica," Daisy squeaks and she runs the brush through my locks.

"Well I wish my hair was your color, it is absolutely beautiful," I comment trying to make my niece feel better about herself and her brown hair, which I can confidently say is quite beautiful.

  Without saying any words in reply my niece simply giggles, beginning to twirl her finger through her own locks.

  "May I come in?" Anna asks opening and walking through the door.

  "Yes," I gasp as Daisy pulls my hair.

"Now Veronica may I have a word? Alone possibly?" Anna continues.

"Oh, of course," I reply nervous for no good reason.

  "While your Mommy and Auntie talk let's go get some milk," Matilda offers Daisy distracting her from my conversational drama.

  "Bye," I whisper to my niece as she begins her walk to the kitchen with Matilda.

"What is your question Anna?" I ask returning my gaze to the mirror as I put my earrings in.