4. The Dress Shop

I rush down to the dining room to meet my family for brunch, a nice and sophisticated start to the day.

  "Nice for you to finally join us, Veronica," Father teases as I take my seat at the table next to my nieces.

"Sorry, you guys know how much I love to sleep," I joke in reply serving myself a pastry off of one of the trays on the table, "So what's everyone's plan for the day? I mean we have a day off before all of the madness ensues,"

"Well we need to get you to your dress fitting, and I heard that there will be a social hour tonight at the park. So besides those activities, I believe the day is yours," Mother explains.

"So I guess that means I get to spend a majority of the day with my beautiful nieces!" I cheer playfully.

"I guess it seems that way. Enjoy your day off while you still can my dear Veronica. Tomorrow is when the real fun starts," Ryder injects sternly.

  "Auntie Veronica, can I go with you to your dress fitting? I want to see you look like a princess again," Daisy, my oldest niece, asks.

  "Why of course Daisy," I smile leaning over to hug her, "Beth and Monica can come as well,"

  "So did any suitor catch your eye last night Veronica," Father interrupts.

  "Oh umm," I start to reply and I begin to remember all of the men I danced with last night. How all of them were either bores or creeps, except for... the Viscount. He didn't make me want to go hide away from the whole world and live in my little bubble, I felt a weird connection with him. It wasn't the most professional meeting, but maybe that was for the best... anyhow none of that matters. Anthony Bridgerton didn't introduce himself to my family and I didn't introduce him to them either, so he clearly isn't that interested. Maybe he is just looking to climb up the social classes, just like I am supposed to be doing, for the greater good of my family, "I don't think any of them stood out particularly," I finish reluctantly.

  "Well, we have time. And endless suitors who will be lining up on our doorstep tomorrow, I know that you will match perfectly with at least one of the presentable men we approve of,"

  "Yeah, I'm glad we have time..." I repeat annoyed.

  The rest of breakfast flies by, most of the talk is just conversation from last night and what Ryder and his family have been up to for the past few months. As we finish breakfast I retreat to my room to get ready to go to my dress fitting.

***

  "Ms. Veronica! I just finished the most beautiful dress for your next special occasion!" Madame Delacroix cheers as my mother, my nieces and I enter her shop, "Here come take a stand and I will be right back with the dress,"

  I nod in reply with a smile on my face and lead my family to the fitting room.

  "Here it is!" Madame exclaims holding the most beautiful emerald green silk gown.

  "Oh my goodness," I reply almost at a loss for words, "It is beautiful," I smile taking ahold of the dress, feeling its magnificent fabric.

  "Let me help you dress into it and we can make any last-minute adjustments shall we? Afterward, you can let me know what you are thinking for your next dress,"

  "Sounds perfect," I nod before undressing to my undergarments.

"Madame Delacroix! Eloise and I are here to pick up her new dress, she is claiming that her last one is 'too pretentious' and we are hoping you can work some things out with us," Some lady hollers from the entrance of the shop.