24. Painting the Morning Sun

The rest of the night was restless and went by horribly slow. It wasn't long after Ryder finally calmed me down that I was alright to return to my quarters. As I slowly did fall asleep I found myself surprised to be thinking of the Viscount for comfort. How I would feel wrapped up safe in his arms. How he could protect me from the pain that I am feeling.

I now find myself watching the sun rise from my window. This is something that I rarely see as I am usually allowed to sleep in.

For the first time in a long time I am dressed and ready along with the sun. Trying to make the best of my early morning while trying to get last nights dark thoughts out of my mind I decide to walk to the park to go paint. I always find painting to be therapeutic, painting the morning rise sounds lovey.

I make sure to bring one of my fathers pocket watches so for once I may be back at a reasonable time.

Father is expected to be back from his short business trip later tonight, hopefully by that time my nerves will have calmed enough to tell him about the Viscounts proposition in a mindful manor.

  Without giving my plan a second thought I gather my supplies. Once collected I rush downstairs to grab some breakfast to go and there I meet Matilda.

  "My goodness, Miss Kingston you are up early aren't you?" Matilda shrieks I can tell caught off guard.

  "Sorry to give you a freight. I just couldn't help but wake with the sun on this fine morning," I smile chuckling at her trying to not raise any suspicions on my trip to the park.

  "No it's quite alright, I am just not used to seeing you at this hour. Quite frankly I am not used to seeing anyone at this hour. Of course the rest of the staff is awake but I am used to their presence," Matilda rambles.

"Well I was just hoping to grab some quick breakfast to go,"

  "To go? May I ask where you are planning to bring this food?" She asks before taking a break from preparing whatever it is she is working on to look at my appearance, "Veronica you are not planning on running off by yourself once more? I know that you are under strict supervision rules as of now, I wouldn't allow myself to just watch you run off without saying a word,"

  "Well if you must abide by the rules by all means come along with me. I could use some company for a change," I half lie just trying to keep her from waking the whole house.

  After a minute of hesitation Matilda replies, "Well fine. I guess some fresh air would do me good as well. Like you said it is a beautiful morning and I do have some business to attend to downtown if you wouldn't mind,"

  "Not at all, as long as I can enjoy my time at the park first," I smile as she packs us both some apples and bread in a basket ready to go.

   From there the walk to the park is quiet. The only noise being your scarce early morning carriage or walker. The ton is just waking up just like the day.

  To my delight the views at the park are more magnificent than ever. The morning oranges and pinks fill the atmosphere and reflect so beautifully off of the pond. The view is made of gods and I have the honor to reflect it in my work.

  Without taking another second to think I begin opening my paint tubes, carefully setting up my pallet.

  I watch as park comes to life, as people begin to walk by, as the sun starts to shine on every leave on every tree. For a good amount of time my mind is occupied on nothing but what is lying right in front of me and how I must interpret it. No thoughts of Mother, Father, Ryder, or Anthony are filling my mind.