6. Panic

"Lady Wistledown reports that, 'This season is filled with a great handful of the most elegant young ladies to grace the Ton. Bachelorettes such as Baroness Veronica Kingston, the diamond of the season, and many more dazzled the hearts on many eligible bachelors but it is too early to tell if any sparks have been made!'" Penelope recites reading off of the pamphlet that has drawn the attention of both of the girls in the room.

I secretly roll my eyes not looking forward to the unnecessary attention from The Ton's gossip. Bored over the subject matter I begin to zone out, not paying particular attention to any words Pen and Eloise are saying.

  "Eloise Bridgerton will you ever stop reading those stupid gossip headlines?" A familiar voice beams and my insides automatically melt like shaved ice on a hot summer's day.

  "Oh shut up Anthony," Eloise replies with annoyance in her voice. I remain staring at the window that has recently caught my attention, not quite knowing what to do with myself in Anthony's presence.

  "Pen, I am sure you also have matters to attend to that do not include gossip," Anthony continues ignoring his sister's comment, "And you... are you a new friend of Eloise's?" Anthony asks now referring to me.

  "I guess you could say that," I hiccup finally turning my attention to the conversation, particularly Anthony.

  Once my eyes meet Anthony's the world seems to pause for a second. Anthony stops in his tracks before spitting out another word. Instead, he bites his tongue before taking a deep breath and handsome bewilderment strikes his features.

  "This is Veronica Kingston," Eloise coughs introducing me while breaking the trance Anthony and I laid upon each other, "Veronica meet my idiot brother Anthony, or should I say Viscount Bridgerton, his head is too big for his body," She snickers.

  "H... Hello," Anthony stutters surprising me, his comment causes my insides to flutter and a slight giggle to escape my lips.

  "Hello, Anthony, nice to see you again," I smile finally standing up along with everyone else in the room.

  "Again? You two know each other?" Eloise questions with the utmost curiosity in her voice.

  "Yes actually," I start to explain making eye contact with Anthony once more, "We actually met at the ball, we shared a dance and a chat,"

  "Well I would say run Veronica, you are too good for my brother," Eloise snaps with a snicker tracing her throat.

  "We had a run-in before and the conversation was nice. Dancing was merely sequence after our initial meeting," Anthony adds in his voice deep, and not seductive to the simple ear, but every noise he makes seems to put me head over heels and I am not sure why.

  "Well, I am sure Veronica danced and talked to a lot of men. Men who are worth more than you I am sure. She is the diamond of the season after all, just like Daphne was last year. She will probably marry a prince," Eloise adds once again.

  "Did you know she paints? And she is quite educated," Pen adds in trying to add to the conversation while sharing the information I shared with her and Eloise upstairs.

  "An artist I see... and an educated one at that," Anthony repeats although he already knew about my education from our conversation at the ball, "You don't meet many ladies with those two gifts together do you?" He plays along.

  "Well, my parents wanted to make sure I would be able to put my brain to use. My mothers influence really. They have always preached the idea that I should be as intelligent as my husband. I know that may scare some suitors away, but I would want to live any other way. And I love painting, it's my favorite activity," I explain shyly trying to show Eloise that the Viscount and my conversation last night was brief and formal.