30. I Choose Red

I wake up the next morning to see Anthony long gone. I guess I fell asleep in his arms last night before he took his leave. I walk to open my blinds just as Matilda opens my door to wake me.

"Sleep well?" Matilda asks I can tell somewhat annoyed by my actions last night. After the nightmares, it's hard to believe that I was even at that party last night, hard to believe I blabbed about my news to Benedict Bridgerton.

"Yes, fine thank you," I lie.

"I set out two dresses for your ball tonight. Along with matching accessories," Matilda smiles," A scarlet dress with ruby jewelry, or a white dress with diamonds.

"Thank you, Matilda," I reply my voice numb.

"I also set out a day dress for you. We will be expediting you downstairs,"

"Who is 'we'?" I ask nervously.

  "Why just your father and Ryder's family of course," Matilda eases before taking her to leave.

  "Oh," I exclaim before dressing myself.

  I quietly walk down and join my family for breakfast. Father has too much to say and I remain silent.

  The rest of the day is filled with solemn and boring feelings just waiting for the ball. Once it's time to dress I have to decide which dress to wear.

  The fact that I had a scarlet dress made is a scandal in itself. Mother requested it a while back because it's her favorite color, I don't think I was supposed to wear it until after my proposal.

  In a way I guess I am to be wed. Just not with the man I wish. That alone solidified my decision. I will wear the red to spite Stephan.

  Matilda helped me dress and helped me with my hair. I decided to go with a high bun to show off my collar bone.

  "I'm ready," I explain to father and Ryder after walking down the stairs.

  I can't help but notice Ryder's smirk as he realizes what statement I am trying to prove with my dress. I reply with a quick smile.

  "Alright then, the carriage is just outside," Father replies taking my arm.

  "Stephen will be at the ball tonight. I expect you two to dance together. I'm hoping to announce the news,"

  "Okay," I reply my heart stinging.

***

  My heart seems to be beating at double speed as I walk into the venue of tonight's ball. I notice everyone's eyes on me and my dress. With that, I just smile and wave.

  From there I wander off with Ryder trying my hardest to avoid Stephan. I don't know where he is but I know he will be here.

  From out of nowhere Anthony grabs my arm from behind, "Meet me in the gardens," He whispers before taking his leave trying to avoid any suspicion.

  "Excuse me, Ryder, I am to freshen up," I smile before dismissing myself, originally walking to the powder room only to turn towards the gardens.

  Once outside I see a type of hedge labyrinth waiting to be explored. I begin to walk through the maze somehow knowing that Anthony is waiting inside.

  After making a few wrong turns I finally find the center of the garden labyrinth. A chandelier is held up by a few wooden beams, rose buses are placed all around us with the accent of several mirrors.

  "Anthony," I exclaim running up to him in relief.

  He matches my greeting with a quick passionate kiss before caressing my cheek.