38. The Ceremony

Matilda carefully clasps my grandmother's set of diamonds around my neck, the matching earrings already on my ears. I can't stop looking at my reflection, the woman staring back at me is one I only partially recognize.

   I feel my mother watching me from wherever she is. I feel her on my neck, on my skin, everywhere. I miss her so much. Even if she isn't physically here I know that her spirit is with me. 

  These past few weeks have felt like the longest and the shortest of my life all in one. It is hard to believe that I will finally marry the man I love. I wouldn't have believed you if you had told me this some time ago. If I had been told that I would have murdered a man I would have been even more surprised. I still am. I can't say I am happy with the way things turned out regarding Stephen Chambers. I know it was an accident, but I still see him when I close my eyes. He haunts my dreams in the most horrible ways. I stabbed him in the heart, he didn't even stand a chance. He was dead seconds after the incident occurred. I don't even know what the help did with his body but his lifeless eyes will never leave me.

  I thank God that we hadn't made official wedding plans, none that I approved at least. Because of this, I feel good wearing my Mother's dress, I feel good getting married at home, and I feel good and unstained by the man who haunts my shadows. 

  Today will change everything. I will be a married woman. I will be a Bridgerton. I will be Mrs. Anthony Bridgerton. Nothing in the world could make me happier. 

  Marrying won't take my shadows away, my trauma will still follow me, but at least I will have my best friend to help me through it. 

  My new life starts today. I will have sex tonight, and become a true woman. I will be part of a new family starting today. 

  "You look beautiful Veronica," Matilda whispers as she finishes the last touches on my hair. I am sprinkled with diamonds, not only by my mother's and grandmother's necklaces, but throughout my hair, my gloves, and my dress diamonds sparkle. 

  "Thank you, Matilda," I simply reply actually believing her words for once. I do look beautiful. 

  "I will retrieve Anna, Eloise, and the other ladies, they will help you with any finishing touches," She explains before excusing herself. 

  And with that a have a few last moments utterly to myself. A few moments alone while I still remain a Kingston. I take a chance to look at my surroundings. The church I am to be wed in truly is beautiful. My mother probably got ready to marry my father in this very room. 

  I wonder how he is doing since he ran away. We haven't heard a word from him. Ryder only noted a significant cut in the bank statements leaving us to assume he took a big chunk of his money and ran. That's fine, he left scraps and Ryder is well enough on his own. My dowry barley was harmed but Anthony couldn't care less. Another reason I am so thankful for him. 

  "Oh my goodness you look like royalty," Anna squeals as the ladies enter the room. I turn around to see her cradling her bump with a tear running down her cheek. 

  "Thank you!" I reply before embracing her in a long hug truly meaning it. Anna is the sister I never knew I needed. 

  "You truly do look magnificent," Lady Bridgerton remarks before handing me a box with a ribbon tied around it, "For you,"

  "Thank you, truly," I reply before giving her a hug as well, "I do hope we become fond friends,"

  "Me as well, now open the gift," She smiles nudging at the box. I do as she says and unwrap the ribbon. I then slip off the lid to reveal a marvelous diamond tiara.