25. Just Let Me Hold You Now

The estate has been filled with childish laughter all afternoon making it clear that my Father has not yet returned home. It is not quite the fact that laughter isn't allowed when he is home, it is that the atmosphere is more harsh and laughter isn't as common.

The relaxation of the day brings me to a realization that my worries are not as specific as I had once hoped. My mind starts wondering astray from my one goal of figuring out how to tell father of Anthony's proposition. Soon I come to realize that I also have to worry about the news hitting Lady Whistledown's Society Papers. I am positive Anthony's and my closeness will be written in the lines, it's only natural to have eyes on the Season's diamond. Because of this the only question that remains is how I will hide the paper itself from father and more importantly the gossip.

   Trying to remain calm despite my worries I have decided to try to combat my problems one by one. Regarding the question as to how I will tell father of Anthony's proposition, I have decided to simply state that I have news relating to some of my potential suitors and more information will come at the next ball. This will do well to push this worry onto the back burner making it hold more pressure on Anthony than myself, just as it should be.

Now regarding the Society Papers, well I am not sure. Knowing my Father isn't one for town gossip I will just have to pray that he doesn't pick a paper up. He should be coming home right from his trip so once he returns I will try my hardest to keep him occupied inside the estate hopefully until the next ball.

My plans are rocky, so rocky I am not even sure if they are true plans, yet I don't know what else can be done. I can only pray Anthony has more grace when it comes to propositions large as this than I do. And I am not Lady Whistledown nor do I know her so stopping the distribution of her papers would be impossible.

  But it isn't just informing Father of the Viscounts proposition, or gossip that I need to worry about. It is asking Father for permission to see mother that I am distraught over. Ever since my night terror seeing her has been the only thing that seems to have any true meaning on my mind.

"Baron Kingston, it's an honor to have you home!" One of our servants cheers across the house. There is no more time to worry, just time to come forward.

  Light quiet chatter mumbles from the main hall as I make my way there from the parlor, Anna, Ryder, and my nieces by my side.

  There I am met by the gaze of someone standing next to Father who looks peculiarly familiar. A man who seems to be Ryders age with a smirk plastered across his face as his eyes attach to mine.

  Confused by the interaction, confused as to who this man is I turn to Ryder and give him a look to see if he knows. But to my disappointment Ryder looks just as confused as I.

  "My dear children!" Father begins with an unusually positive smile and attitude, "It is great to see you all again," He continues before giving us each a hug.

  "Who is that man?" Ryder whispers to Father only to be ignored.

  "Oh my Veronica, I do have good news," Father then says.

  "W- what is it?" I stutter as a weird feeling twists in my stomach.

  "For God's sake don't stutter," He whispers before continuing his act, "And the news is of our new friend, The Duke of Avalon, Stephen Chambers," Father grins finally drawing attention the mysterious man.

Is that why he looks so familiar, because he has the last name Chambers? Now that Father has mentioned it he does look a great deal like my good old friend Luke.

"It's an honor," The Duke smirks before giving a polite bow.

"And I you," I reply reluctantly using my ladylike manners. The masked manners that made me the diamond of the season.