14. With Every High there Must be a Low

"Lord Bridgerton?" I squeak as I have a chance to catch my breath, "What if someone saw?"

  "I- I am sorry Baroness Kingston," Anthony stutters dragging his muscular hands across his face in embarrassment.

  "No, it's ok..." I reply trying to find my voice, "If anyone were to see us I would be in deep trouble but that was nice. No need to apologize. I was a part of the kiss too,"

  "It was wrong of me. You are young and innocent... recklessness like that could ruin a woman like you. Trust me I know from experience. I took a part of your honor and that is unacceptable,"

"My lord it's quite alright. I have never kissed anyone but i'm not regretting what just happened. Sure it was dangerous but I think it was worth it,"

  Anthony then replies with a deep sigh, disappointment in his voice, "I have duties that need attended to. I will try to see send Eloise out to talk to you. That's what you came here for and I am sure you want to accomplish that goal. While i'm inside I will also make sure nobody saw, to give us each some peace of mind," He finishes explaining before dismissing himself with a slight smile and a nod.

  And then I am left alone outside, my insides sparking with confused desire. Left to think and dream about the man who just kissed me. Left to think about Anthony Bridgerton.

  "Veronica!" Eloise's familiar excited voice calls.

"Eloise!" I cheer in reply as my mind slowly clears.

"How long have you been waiting out here? Anthony just told me to come meet you, claimed he saw you sitting out here on his way to go get some work done," Eloise questions seemingly oblivious to Anthony's and my kiss. Thank God.

"I arrived with Lady Danbury actually. She said she would send you outside right away but it seems she got distracted," I giggle playing my last interaction with a Bridgerton off.

"Why didn't you come inside to say hello? I am sure my family would love to meet you. I have to admit I have been boasting about you. Not the part about you tutoring me though, obviously Mother would not approve of that,"

"Well I didn't want to come inside uninvited dressed like this," I chuckle waving at my outfit.

"I think it fits you. Sure it looks a little artistic but I think that adds amazing character. It's beautiful in its own way just like you!"

"Eloise I am not sure if I should take that as a suggestion or a compliment," I joke.

"Why it was a compliment! You know how I much forced society gets on my nerves," She laughs back.

"So It seems you don't hate me after what I pulled last night. To be honest coming over I was fearing the worse,"

"You think I would disassociate myself from you just because you showed my annoying older brother some common sense? I adore you more than ever now following what you did last night. Anthony needed someone to pull him off his high horse and you were the perfect person to do so," She chuckles as she remembers last night.

"Well I am relieved. To be honest I was not sure how you would react, I thought I might be loosing you,"

  "Veronica you could never loose me. You are the one girl my age that my mother and brother would approve of me conversations with that doesn't drive me insane. Besides Penn of course but i've known her for so long and she is like a sister to me. With you there is so much unknown, so much to learn it's accelerating. Quite honestly I feel bad for you on behalf of my brother. If I know anything about Anthony it's that he probably deserved being ran out on,"