Chapter 42: Almost There

*ELI'S POV*

Thirty days never felt so long. Only thirty days more and I could finally be with Sam. Really be with her. Thirty more days and I could finally call her my girlfriend, hold her hand the whole day, tell everyone that she was mine and I was hers. I know we've kissed and said I love yous but that's nothing compared to being official. Being official meant we had a sure future ahead of us. I never realized until now that that was all I needed. An assurance that I still had a future and that it won't be so bad.

"Whatchu thinking about?" I blink my eyes into focus and look at the girl snuggled beside me. Gosh, I could just get lost in those green eyes.

"You."

"Shut up." Sam playfully slaps my arm.

"Yeah, Eli. Shut up." Tera interjects while pretending to gag.

"Why are you still here again? Don't you have some college thing to do?" I turn my head to Tera, who is sitting on the other end of the couch.

"Right now I wish I did."

"Shhhh!" Jane and Kate simultaneously whip their heads back at us then back to the TV. I swear if they sit any closer they'll get sucked in.

I roll my eyes and stick my tongue out at Tera, which she gladly reciprocates. I feel Sam softly laughing at our antics and I couldn't help but smile then kiss her forehead.

I think I can survive thirty more days of this.

***

I grab six bottles of strawberry milk from the fridge and dump them in my cart. They should really make a carton version of this. As I head over to the instant ramen aisle, I hear someone call my name. I turn around and see Vanessa walking towards me with a wide smile.

"Hey," I say and reciprocate her hug.

"Wait! Don't move. I need to take a proper look this time." She says, pinching my cheeks. "You've got some meat in you now and color."

"That's probably from your pinching." I laugh.

"Doesn't she look so much brighter now?" Vanessa turns around and I look to see who she was talking to. Evan.

"As bright as the moon on a cloudless night." Evan saunters towards us with a bottle of whisky on one hand and a bag of chips on the other. He stops right beside Vanessa and bends forward to match my height. "It's good to see you, little sis."

"You too, Evan." I try to say as naturally as possible but really all I wanted was for this conversation to be over.

"Weren't we just talking about how surprised we were to see Eli at the gas station?" Evan and I break eye contact and look at Vanessa. "I was so surprised I didn't even get a proper look at you. But wow! You definitely look hotter now."

"Hold your horses, V. If I recall correctly your codename is Mama Bird and I ain't committing incest." I pretend to make a face.

Vanessa was about to make a comeback but Evan interrupted her. "Ahh, yes and you're Wader. Coming up with your codename was the most educational thing I have ever done in my life." He chuckles.

"It's not my fault you couldn't settle on Snipe." I smirk at him.

"It's too close to 'sniper'. You deserved something more... indirect, mysterious."

"And that brain of yours thought Wader was a good choice?" Vanessa joins in.

"Hey, the people feared the name anyways." Evan shrugs and raises his eyebrow at me.

"Well, as much as I'd like to reminisce about codenames, Vulture." I give him a look then turn to Vanessa. "I have to get back home and prep. I've got some friends coming over." I grab the closest pack of noodles and dump it in my cart. "But text me, V, how long you'll be here for." I made sure to only look at Vanessa when I said that.

"Definitely. We need a catch up sesh." She moves in for another hug and I give her the warmest hug I could. Despite not staying in contact with her, Vanessa is actually one of the warmest people I know. We break apart then Evan and I fistbump.

"Careful with those. You wouldn't want to get burned." He says motioning to the spicy noodles I got.

"I've had worse." I say not backing down.

I pay for my things and head out. I take one last look inside and shake my head. I'm starting to think this convenience store is bad luck.

A/N: So 'Wader' is in reference to a bird species. Specifically, a Snipe which can refer to about 26 wading bird species. Snipe is where the term 'sniper' came from because of the marksmanship ability a shooter must have to take down one of these birds. They camouflage well and have erratic flight patterns.