Chapter 15: Adjustment

*ELI'S POV*

When I got home from Sam's, I took a full five minutes just standing in front of the window. I had it open to let the smoke from my cigarette diffuse out. I wasn't hungry and the excuse I made to get home was just that-- an excuse. I smiled thinking about how cool her mom was. My mom was too except of course at the time I didn't think that way. I felt a little weight come off my shoulders when she asked me if I was held back in school and I told them about the past three years. Well, at least the summary. It felt good to say it out loud to someone without being judged or pitied. Although, I think Sam looked at me differently. I should prepare myself for Monday. I don't know what Sam's capable of and I admit a big part of me still hopes she'll be different but... I should prepare myself for a swarm of looks of pity. I may have gotten used to it before but that doesn't make it any easier.

The weekend goes on slowly. I didn't do much except sleep, clean the apartment, do some homework, and smoke my stress away. Sooner than I expected, it was Monday already.

***

I hurriedly make my way to my first class. I took too much time biking to school, just leisurely going. I enter the classroom just before the late bell rings. On my way to my seat, my eyes meet briefly with a pair of green eyes following me. I couldn't help but glance every now and then at Sam as if doing so would make me understand her better. When the bell rang to signal the end of class, I immediately went to leave but was stopped by Sam. A few of our classmates looked but knew better than to watch. Even Brendan just gave us a quick curious look.

Sam clears her throat and hands me a paper bag. "You're jacket."

I take it and say, "Thanks."

"Your hand's better," she says, stopping me again and looking at the hand I took the paper bag with.

"Yup, good as new." I just stand there waiting if she'll say anything else. She clears her throat and steps aside so I leave.

Second period was as unusual as the first. Kate sat next to me but didn't say a single word. That girl could barely make it through a whole minute without saying anything. But now she's just sitting there not even bothering to look at me. I on the other hand was bothered by this sudden change of behavior. After all, I did already get used to her annoyingly greeting me everyday. And I know I said I wouldn't get attached to anyone but hey, I'm only human.

The bell rings to signal the end of class and this time I was the one to stop someone from leaving.

"Kate," I say and she looks at me. "You ok?"

"Yeah, why?"

"You were quiet the whole class."

She laughs, "I'm just rooting for someone else now." Then she walks away leaving me confused. Rooting what? For who?

I make my way to my next class confused but soon forget about it when lunch comes. I go to the cafeteria to buy food since I didn't pack any. I grab a salad and, noticing that the cafeteria ladies looked like they hated Mondays as much as we do, I say to the one nearest me, "Damn gurl, you look as fresh as this salad." They all laugh.

"There you go again, Eli. Next time we'll serve something you won't be able to make a positive comment about." One of the ladies say.

"I'd like to take the challenge but think of the poor students."

"They can handle it!" Someone at the back shouts.

I pay for my meal and head towards the yard but finish it quickly since the sky was turning grey. Nowhere else to go, I head for my next class. Since I was early, I decided to take a nap. It was getting cold so I put on the jacket Sam returned to me. The shirt I was wearing was more equipped for P.E. where I'd be moving a lot rather than Math where I'd be... sleeping a lot. I put on the hood and rest my head on my desk.