Chapter 38: Summer

*ELI'S POV*

Before I know it, a whole school year is over and it's summer break already. If you told Eli last year that she'd be making friends and finishing junior year without a glitch, she'd laugh straight to your face. I came to this town thinking I'd just breeze through the next two years without making any true connections just like I did the past few years. But instead I made three genuine friends and one of them makes me want more. Not just more in terms of our relationship, but more in life. After the accident I didn't care about what I did or what it would do to my future. I was just going through the motions of each day waiting for the time I'd actually die. I'd actively seek out dangerous situations to see how far I could push the universe. But now all I want to do is spend every moment that I can with Sam. She makes me want to be alive.

Not even a week into summer vacation and she's already planned all the things we could do. One of those is a trip to the beach. It's a three hour drive down to the nearest beach and that's where I find myself now. Well, I'm actually at the local grocery store with Sam since we easily finished setting up our tent. We left Jane and Kate struggling on their own tent.

"What do we need again?" Sam asks, studying the rows of vegetables.

"Leeks or spring onion."

"Ah! This one?" She grabs a bunch of leeks.

"Yes, but let's get something less," I laugh since the one she grabbed was good for four meals. I took one that was just enough for the instant ramen we'd be having.

"Hmm, let's see... we could get some eggs too." We got half a dozen eggs, a packet of sausages, cheese, and some chips. We were now in the alcohol aisle.

"Just get a six pack." I tell Sam who's seriously looking at the choices.

"A six pack?! But we're four," she complains.

"Yeah but who's going to end up taking care of three drunk teenagers?" I say pointing at myself. "And if one of you decides to run into the ocean, I'm not going after you."

"Please, we've got great alcohol tolerance." Sam grabs not just one but four six packs.

"Are you planning on drinking six beers each?" I say incredulously and put back one pack on the shelf. "Three is more than enough."

"Fine, be a killjoy." Sam rolls her eyes at me so I ruffle her hair and walk away.

By the time we got back to the others, they had already finished their tent and set up some chairs. We arrived a little after lunch so we just lounged around and played some card games. After an hour we readied to go swimming. We changed at the public bath and unsurprisingly, the others were taking longer than I did so I went back to our tents first.

Thank god I was wearing sunglasses because when I saw Sam walking towards me in only a bikini... Well, let's just say I had to make an extra effort to control my reaction.

"Like what you see?" She teases me and twirls giving me a full view of that fucking full ass I want to squeeze and-- ELI! Control yourself!!

I clear my throat but not one to back down, I step closer until we're inches away then I softly caress the length of her arm with the back of my hand and whisper in her ear, "I think I prefer you with less clothing." I step back with a smirk and see Sam's face flush a crimson color.

"Get a room!" Jane shouts at us as she throws her things in their tent.

"Careful, Sam. Looks like Eli's struggling to stay controlled," Kate laughs.

"Whatever!" Sam brushes past me and heads to the water. All three of us laugh as we go to join her.

"Damn, Eli. Why have you been wearing sweaters when you've got abs like that." Kate pointed at my abs and the others stared like her. I was also wearing a two piece but mine was designed more sporty than flashy.

"I get cold easily," I shrug. "Besides, you guys have abs too." Sometimes I forget that they were cheerleaders who did some pretty sick drills.

"Yeah but not like yours," Kate says. I just laugh and smile even more when I notice Sam avoiding eye contact.

We waded around and played some water games until we got too cold. We finished washing up just in time to watch the sunset. We propped our chairs to face the ocean, in full view of the sun sinking down the horizon, each of us a beer in hand. Every now and then I would glance at Sam and smile whenever she looked back.

For dinner, I told them I'd make some kimchi ramen which is perfect for a cool night at the beach. We brought a portable burner so I made some hard boiled eggs first then the soup. I added in the leeks that I cut into one inch sizes using scissors since we didn't bring a knife or chopping board. I did the same with the sausages. Then I added all the cheese to subdue the spice.

"Now I know this isn't the ideal meal for you healthy cheerleaders but wait until you get a taste," I say, serving them each a bowl.

"OH MY GOD," they say simultaneously. I serve myself a bowl with a wide grin on my face. Tangina, the best talaga beer at kimchi ramen (Fuck, beer and kimchi ramen really is the best).

***

Sam and I are now walking along the beach, our arms linked. The moon lighting our path and the only sound you could hear was the gentle waves crashing. I look at Sam snuggling onto my side. I smile as I notice how her cheeks are stained pink from the cool breeze and how her hair is slightly swept by it. Despite the cool night air, I was as warm as ever.

"I can feel you staring."

I chuckle. "You look beautiful in the moonlight." She blushes. "Your birthday is nearing."

She suddenly pulls away and looks at me excited. "It's exactly thirty-two days from now!"

"Actually it's already past midnight so it's thirty-one days." I correct her.

"You've been counting too?" She laughs.

"Ever since I first asked you your birthday."

She rolls her eyes. "Is that why you dated that redhead? It was too far away?"

I look at her surprised, not knowing what to say. Then she laughs. "Relax. I'm just teasing you. You should've seen your face." She continues laughing so I start to tickle her.

"No—. Stop—!" She says in between laughs, trying to swat my hands away.

I fell asleep that night with Sam cuddling beside me and I couldn't have been happier.

A/N: I really did actually forgot they were cheerleaders haha that's why I'm suddenly mentioning it now again here.

ALSO, I've got an announcement to make. I'll be publishing another story on Sunday. It's a short story and I'll be posting all chapters of it in one go. I hope you guys/gals/pals check it out.

The title is Not That Simple. Synopsis below:

This is a story of a girl figuring herself out and what it means to be a human being living on this earth. Follow her through her journey of questioning her sexuality, finding the right label, feeling comfortable in her own skin, and realizing that life is what you make of it.