Chapter 13: You're What?!

*ELI'S POV*

The ride to Sam's house wasn't as difficult as I thought. I was worried we might fall and I think Sam thought the same since I had to tell her a few times to loosen her grip on my waist. But we made it safely to a huge tall house overlooking a large front lawn and two driveways. Of course, she's a rich kid. Not that I'm any different. But we weren't this well off.

"Thank you," Sam says, handing me my helmet. She was about to untie my jacket when a car honked and drove up one of their driveways. "Great. Why is she home so early?" I hear her mutter.

A woman probably in her forties who looked a lot like Sam but with lighter hair steps out and walks towards us.

"Hurry! Leave!" Sam whispers to me but I didn't move.

"Samatha dear, you didn't tell me you made a new friend! Come on in, darling. You must be tired from biking both of yourselves here."

"No she's not. She was just saying how pumped up she is to go home." Sam looks at me clearly wanting me to leave but being myself, I'm not one to pass up an opportunity to be annoying.

"I could use a drink," I say and get off my bike. I hear Sam groan as we make our way inside.

We head to the kitchen which was all white with marble countertops and-- IS THAT A FOUR-BURNER RANGE WITH A BIG ASS FUME HOOD RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE??!!-- I stare at it in awe as I take a seat on one of the counter island stools.

"Samantha, pour your friend some water. Where are my manners? I'm Jules, Sam's mother. And you are?"

"Eli. I thought for sure you were her sister," I say smiling.

Her mom laughs and flips her hair, "Oh, if I was any younger I would've fallen for that!"

"Mom." Sam whines, roughly handing me my water.

"What, dear? When I was your age I would've definitely had a crush on Eli. She has this charming yet mysterious vibe about her and not to mention the bad boy look." She motions at my tattooed arm as she takes a seat at the end of the island just to my right. "You must have a lot of admirers in school?"

"I get a few invitations every now and then but I don't really act on it," I feel Sam looking at me as she takes the seat across.

"Why not? Now is the time to be young and explore."

"Oh my goood," Sam complains.

"Well, unless I want to go to jail..." They both look at me confused.

"I'm nineteen," I explain, then taking a sip from my water.

"You're what?!" Sam looks at me shocked.

"Yeah, didn't I tell you?" I say, acting innocent knowing full well there was absolutely no reason for me to have told her.

"That must be so difficult!" Jules says not affected at all.

"Well, I prefer my age or older anyway and I'm not really restricted to school so..."

"Ah I see..." Jules says winking at me. She continues, "If you don't mind me asking, were you held back in school?"

At this point, I could feel Sam melting in the background.

"I had to take a break. I lost my family and I was in the hospital for a year. Then I had a dark year and spent the next year after that getting back together so... My aunt found me a quiet place close enough for her to visit." I say this nonchalantly. I don't really know why I didn't care if Sam knew this about me. Even if she decides to let the school know, I've established myself enough for people to know they can't use this against me.