Chapter 2: Surprise

Luckily, class hasn't started yet and the teacher was just fixing her things on the desk. She was probably in her fifties, looked homey enough, typical english lit vibes. I walk up to her and say, "Good morning, I just transferred here."

    She looks up at me surprised but was quick enough to replace it with a smile.

    "Ah yes! I heard we were having a new student. Why don't you introduce yourself then you can take a seat over there," she says pointing to an empty seat by the back.

    Seriously? Introduce myself? What are we in elementary?

    "Hi, I'm Eli," I say shortly, facing my classmates with a blank look.

    I don't think Mrs. Bennet expected me to keep it so short. Honestly, what did she expect? But a few seconds of silence followed until some guy donning a letterman jacket (so I'm guessing he's a jock) shouted, "Are you a guy or a girl?"

Now I have to explain that what elicited this question was probably because I had short hair (about two inches long) with an undercut fade. I dyed it black again just because I didn't want to attract any more attention to myself. I still had my piercings but my tattoo sleeve was covered up with the denim jacket I was wearing. The admin requested that I keep it covered lest the "kids" were influenced to get one themselves. My features were feminine enough to pass as a girl but my demeanor and low voice were masculine enough to pass as a boy. Oh and my jacket hid my chest area.

    His friends snicker beside him at his comment and a few others laugh silently. Mrs. Bennet sends out a reprimand but I ignore them and answer, "I'm gay."

    The class goes silent and the boy looks at me like he didn't expect me to say anything especially that. I also wore round glasses, which gave off the nerd, easy-to-pick-on vibes but boy oh boy is he wrong. I look at Mrs. Bennet and ask, "Can I take a seat now?"

    "Umm.. yes of course," she stammered.

    I head my way to the back, eyes following me.

    Letterman boy must have recovered from my sudden coming out so he stuck out his foot to try and trip me as I was passing by. Having watched my fair share of teen movies, I knew this was coming so I made my step shorter than usual and stepped on his foot as I continued walking.

    "Fucking bitch!" He shouts while some students laugh.

    "Mr. Bradford, detention after school!" Mrs. Bennet calls him out. Huh, I guess the jock doesn't have a hold on the teachers. Cool, this will be interesting.

    The rest of the day was not that interesting. People would just look at me and whisper amongst themselves. Typical reactions to the new kid. Though I'm guessing the little stunt this morning already spread around since some students would look at me warily. Maybe they think I'm going to be another bully. I'm not really into that but... Should I milk this? I think with a smirk. Whatever.

    Lunchtime came around and I knew I didn't want to be bothered by having to look for a table so I brought my own lunch (just an apple and half a sandwich, easy to eat anywhere). Still, I stopped by the cafeteria to see what they had. I must have made too much effort trying to ignore the students' looks or I might have been too distracted by the food but before I knew it I was hit by something... soft??

    "You fucking bitch!" Ok guys I have a name you know.

    I look down and see a girl with dirty blonde hair wearing a cheerleader uniform smeared with what I can guess is her super healthy veggie juice. Oh hey! I've met two stereotypes today! I'm actually probably the third.

    "I would've said sorry but I'm a fucking bitch so nevermind."

    "Don't you know who I am?" she scoffs.

    "No."

    "Well you better!" Then she walks away, her posse trailing behind her giving me dirty looks.

    "I still don't know who you are!" I shout after them eliciting some snickers from the crowd who were watching our little show.

A/N:

What did you guys think of Eli casually coming out? And who do you think the new girl is?

Also, if you have any suggestions or noticed any errors, please do tell :) Thank you!