Chapter 53: Silence

*SAM'S POV*

There's only a minute left before the bell rings to signal the start of class. Eli still hasn't arrived. I'm not even sure if we share the same class but I still saved her a seat next to me hoping that when she does come, she'll sit by my side. The door slowly opens and my eyes dart towards it. I swear those seconds felt longer than they were.

There she is, standing in front of class, her eyes slowly scanning the room. Everyone else's eyes were on her as well. The silence contrasting the whispers that breezed through the hallways this morning of rumors and assumptions about the incident. The bell rings and everyone jumps in their seats. Except me and Eli, our eyes now finally locked. She makes her way towards me, our eyes never breaking contact. Eli has no emotion on her face but I'm sure mine are fully on display.

She sits down beside me, my eyes still on her but hers were now directed to the front of the class like everyone else's. I made sure to take a seat at the back to save Eli from the stares. But it seems like I'm the one that needs to be stopped from staring.

The teacher starts discussing the syllabus and I try my best to pay attention. Don't make Eli feel any more uncomfortable than she probably already is, Sam. The hour goes on with silence between us.

***

*ELI'S POV*

Silence. That's what greeted me. I don't know if that was worse or not but I'm not holding my breath. I'm pretty sure this silence will be broken eventually. The question is when.

First period ends and I gather my things into my bag. I watch as Sam does the same and I give her a small smile when she looks up at me. The smile she gives me back... I could just melt right here. We walk together to the next class and I can feel the stares following us but I couldn't care less. They don't matter. She does.

I take her hand in mine just before she enters the classroom. "I have to go."

Fear flashes across her eyes. "Why?"

"We don't share the same class." I say gesturing at the room number I realized was different from the one I should be at.

"Oh." She looks at me sadly.

"I'll see you in third period. If not, then at lunch." I lean forward to kiss her on the cheek but stop midway and decide not to. I don't know how she feels about me after I've ignored her for a month. Instead, I give her another smile then turn and walk away to my actual classroom.

We didn't have third period together so now I'm on my way to the cafeteria to look for Sam. She wasn't there yet so I went up to the counter just to see what food they were serving. One of the cafeteria ladies notice me and say, "Would you like a salad, Eli? You're not looking too fresh today."

I laugh at the memory that pops into my head. "If you've been having that salad also then it must work. You look fresh as hell."

A blush colors her cheeks as she laughs, "I guess you haven't changed a bit."

"I don't think Eli will stop being a flirt anytime soon." One of the other lunch ladies says.

"Oh I don't know about that," Another one quips and I follow to where she nodded at. Sam just entered the cafeteria, her eyes scanning the tables.

"That's my cue, ladies." I flash them a smile and throw in a wink then make my way to Sam. As I get closer I make my steps faster as I notice the worried look on her face.

A/N: I'm cringing at Eli. Let me know what you folks want to see before the story ends.